Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Magman3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous

I've got a nitrous question and I need a little advice. I've got a SXT with the 3.5L and I'm wanting to get a nitrous setup. Something small, maybe a 50-75 shot unit. Any ideas on kits available. Will I void my warranty? Installation costs? Reliability? Overall engine damage? I've done hundreds of bolt-ons to different vehicles but I've never used or installed nitrous. Any information that can be shared will be great.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:16 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nitrous

i worked for a dealership...if they suspect that nitrous is the cause for an extreme engine problem, they evidently CAN find out. If you do install a system, dont put a trigger; make it self arming based on the throttle position sensor, and hide a switch somewhere inside where you wont bump it. i would always recommend a wet shot, because running a dry shot always increases your risk of running Too lean and burning something up. do you have mechanic knowledge? i raced/regularly drove a friend of mine's sebring last summer, and it had a Zex 55 shot...it made QUITE a difference...if you happen to find a system used, say from someone you know, make sure you check the date on the bottle...i know that they expire, but im not sure how long they are good for.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Magman3
Professional

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to run into an issue with blowing up my motor so I guess I will stick to a few bolt ons instead.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:06 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I have been thinking of adding a small shot of Nitrous to my RT, something small, say just a 50 HP shot to be safe.

Was wondering where or how you would mount the bottle on a Magnum?

Bob

Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Magman3
Professional

I was going to mount the bottle in the back with quick disconnects so that when I needed to put something in the back, all I would have to do is pull it out. A 50 shot would be perfect but I just can't stomach the thought of damaging the motor. On something like that, the dealer would nail you to the coufin. I guess I will just get my intake and Jet chip and see what that does for me.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:08 AM
magrt

if you are looking for power the jet chip wont do it. have the stage two on my rt and got no power gain, although it gave me almost two miles to the gallon.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:33 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have seen a stratus RT with a jet box, and it was slower than my car without one...

Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Magman3
Professional

Ok well that pretty much does away with that idea. I ordered my intake today. I'll have it in about a week. I went with the Airraid unit with the MIT tube. We'll see how that does. There really aren't to many bolt-ons available right now for the Mag. I'll have to just wait patiently for stuff to drop.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Gary Howell
Professional

ORIGINAL: Magman3

I've got a nitrous question and I need a little advice. I've got a SXT with the 3.5L and I'm wanting to get a nitrous setup. Something small, maybe a 50-75 shot unit. Any ideas on kits available. Will I void my warranty?
It can void those parts directly effected by it. The Magnuson Moss warranty Act prevents them from voiding the entire warranty on the car.

Installation costs?
That is going to vary from area to area, as labor rates are dependent on cost of living. Here in WV cost would be relatively cheap, but in the middle of LA your going to pay a lot more.

Reliability?

Should be vary reliable. I run 50 and 75 shots on 2.0 litre Neons all the time. I would not be afraid to run a 100 shot on a 3.5. The motor is strong enough to handle that.

Overall engine damage?
Read your tuning information. If you have the tuning right on a 75-100 hp kit, you should not have a problem. Improper tuning can damage your engine. I personally like the Nitrous Works EFI kits. They are very well designed. Our 2004 SEMA car has a 250 hp 4 nozzel kit on a build 2.0 DOHC Neon. They are easy to tune, and you can easily do a 75-100 hp shot, always error on the side of rich if your not sure.

I've done hundreds of bolt-ons to different vehicles but I've never used or installed nitrous. Any information that can be shared will be great.
If you have done alot of bolt ons your skill should be good enough to install a nitrous kit.

Quick Reply: Nitrous