Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

paint to match inside headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 AM
magrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint to match inside headlight

my painter said he can un glue the head light and paint the inside red to match. has anyone tried this or am i going to be the gennie pig.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
LtlDad
Professional
Default RE: paint to match inside headlight

You will have to 'prove it can be done'. I haven't hear of anyone else doing this...

Old 06-20-2005, 06:08 PM
White Heat

A Suburu buddy said he's read about this on their forums. You subject the lens to very low even heat (like an oven) until the glue is pliable and pull it apart. Back together is same process after paint dries. If your paint guy says he'd do it, definately go for it! It would look real sharp.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:37 PM
eviltwin67

You may run into problems with the "silver" reflector "fogging-up/getting hazy" after a while. I go on alot of HID/lighting forums where others have tried to paint their headlight housings. The problem most people run into is that the heat from the bulbs reacts with some kinds of paint and causes a vapor like haze to dull the reflector over time. Some people even said that the inside of their lenses gets this haze. Make sure that you pre-burn to prevent "outgassing". This is a quote from HIDplanet about this:
"Preburning is a curing process. If you cure the paint, it wont outgas any fumes that may damage the lenses or anything else.
Its a good idea to bake the paint in and then mount everything. Im sure most people do not do this process and have great results, but once in a while, the right paint will cause it. Engine paint still needs to cure. It outgasses lots of chemicals when it gets hot after spraying.
Here is the thread in case you want the details: http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopi...ainted+housing

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
undropped
Veteran

dude, you so stole my idea, should look really cool, pics asap

Old 06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
grinner
All Star

lemme know how to unglue em.
I'm using a dremmel to cut along the seam. I'll then paint the bezel inferno red for a buddy of mine and epoxy the lens back on water tight.
If it can be unglued, I'm certainly all ears, man.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
eviltwin67

Here are the directions for seperating the plastic headlight lenses for a Toyota Camry from ToyotaNation.com, hopefully this will work for Magnums too:

STEP 1: Heating and removing lense

Pop off the retaining clips on the sides of the lamp, should be about 5 or 6 of them. Take out the bulbs, and if possible, remove all the black plastic mounting tabs......but if you can't, that's ok, you'll just have to make sure they don't touch any heating coils in the oven.

Pre-heat your oven to between 350 and 400 degrees, turn the oven off, then place the headlamp on a cooking sheet with foil underneath the lamp to prevent glue from dripping on the cookie sheet.

After 3-4 minutes, take the lamp out, slowly pry off the lense using the flathead. You may have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times untill the glue softens.

Make sure you TURN OFF THE OVEN before you put the headlight housing in or you are going to melt your lights!!! Some people have used a heat gun to do the same thing. I personally have not done this, so I am not talking from experience. I have seen the results, so I know it works.

Good luck

Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 PM
grinner
All Star

in my best Slingblade voice:

aight den. I reckin I'll put da headlights in da oven.
mmhmmm

I'll take pics...

Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 AM
magrt

well im going for it, if it dont work i guess i will stick to origanal plan and get sxt lights. painting flames and rk sport hood next week so stay tuned wheir going for it. post pics when all is done

Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 AM
magrt

lyle sxt your grill will be removed soon so will get with you then

Quick Reply: paint to match inside headlight