Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.
View Poll Results: A poll
Self Powered....and let me know what
12.50%
Sub and seperate amp, and what size
87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Sub Woofer Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Woofer Dilema

Ok, here is my problem. I am getting a new system. I want a sub. Nothing that will break windows, just something to fill it out. Should I go with a self powered one such as a Infinity Bass Link, or have the person putting one in make me one and have yet another amp? My budget is roughly 300-400 dollars for the sub/amp together. Please let me know. Especially you GRINNER. I know you have a real sub in yours.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:02 PM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: Sub Woofer Dilema

With that budget, you probably wanna go with the combo. They don't sound great though.
For a little more, you can get a 10" MTX sub and a small amp to power it and it would sound much better.
To keep from losing room, you could either put the sub and amp under your cargo top, or beeter yet, put the sub in one of the cubbies on the side, using it's air space and put the amp either under the cargo top or if it's small enough, flush mount it over in the tho other cubby. Ideally, you could put a 10 in each cubby and a bigger amp under the cargo table. Getting more expensive there but I think you'd be glad ya did. The install would be more expensive than the hardware this way as the boxes would be fiberglass. It looks sweet though and you wouldn't lose any space.
Hit you local audio shops and brows around. Price the self-powered bass tubes that you can hook up yourself, then price a few subs and soem amps that'll power em. Get opinions from tyhe sales dudes, soaking in knowledge but remembering they are there to get you to buy more than what ya want.
If it were me and I was looking to keep it very lean, I'd go with a sub in a prebuilt box on one side, allowing me to still fold the bigger part of the back seat down and a good amp to run it. I'd also replace the stock speakers. Premiere and Sony both make much better sounding stuff than the factory bostons and neither of those will break the bank.
You'll find 2 6X9s in the back and a pair of 5.25" in the doors will help alot. You can keep your current deck with no probs. Swappin the stock spreakers, adding a 10" sub and a small amp to run it doesn't have to cost ya more than 400 or 500 bucks.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM
billapex
Professional

Thanks for the info, Grinner. I've been debating a sub as well, but for ease of installation and the fact that I'm certainly not a sound connoisseur, I might go with a self-contained unit. I did install Infinity Kappa 6x9s in the rear and was surprised that they didn't produce more bass than they did, but that's probably an enclosure problem. I can't imagine that the space they're in is the best for bass reproduction!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 PM
shiltz
Captain

actualy the bass issue with the infinity kappa's you put in shouldn't have anything to do with an enclousure because they are free air speakers, it's very likely the factory amp because pretty much all factory amps are garbage, when I had my dakota before my magnum I bought it used, the person who owned it before had put kicker 6 1/2" speakers all around hooked to the factory infinity amp and head unit, sounded like the speakers were blown when there was any amount of bass, once I replaced the factory head unit with a pioneer one and bypassed the factory amp so they were powered by the head unit is sounded 10 times better and had a lot more bass.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Magman3
Professional

I would save a little and go with seperate units, or as Grinner said, check out a small amp and sub combo. I was at Circuit City over the weekend and saw a bandpass box with 2 10's for $139. It was Jensen, I think, but the box was killer. You should be able to pick up an amp for roughly $200, and a amp install kit for right around $80, RCA included. If you have an aftermarket head unit, you should be able to run the equipment yourself, otherwise you're looking at $60-80 install. That should keep you under $400. I have a system I'm looking to sell. I have 2 amps, one Kicker and one Kenwood. The Kicker is 200 watts, the Kenwood is 300 watts. I also have a loaded box with a 10" JL W0. The box I had done custom for my Ram, but fits nicely behind one of the back seats of the Mag, and it takes up no space. The amps are like new, and the the sub sounds great. I'll sell the Kenwood and the sub for $150, or the Kicker and the sub for $175, plus shipping. It won't blow the glass off, but it sounds real nice in the back of the Mag. I had it installed for a month, before going with a full custom setup. If you're interested PM me or email me.

Brandon

Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

What I have done is a total remake. All the pics and stuff is on my signature and website. I got the Alpine 350W mono amp and 2 Alpine SWS-1022 for $350(yeah I'm a Alpine nut). I did the install myself and with the amp rack and box it was $85 ($35 of which was the plexiglass). I am currently deployed and will be getting home tues night. Weds I am looking into trying to build an enclosure for the cubby holes. All the dang angles is gonna drive me nuts. Hopefully I will be able to get the .65 cubic foot minimum that the speakers are recommending.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:41 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional

356 magnum, how did you get your amps so low? i am looking at it and it looks like the plexi glass is at the level the undercompartment starts at. I just took mine out to see where you found the room and i didn't see any. Can you still get to your tire also with those subs like that?

Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 PM
undropped
Veteran

go with seperate for sure, don't be afraid to crusie ebay, i got a huge hifonics amp a PPI pro 10" sub for around three hundred dollars, i dont even have the amp bridged and its plenty loud, the box is the secret, it is called a 'deathbox' i have the plans for a single 10 or 12. it makes my one ten as loud as two 12's.

here are some pics of the interior, the great part about this box is that the speaker is completly protected, so when i need to haul large items i unplug the speaker undo the strap and away we go

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/FE175C78C765491B951A7C304617F3E4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/1B630DF351AD49E0B95035C6A002F4DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
undropped
Veteran

heres a couple more pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/F43CE6B3B8844FDE8956A71D3C663B2F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/F4D7BF9F47054215951209F6C10C655E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 PM
chrisuscga01