Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

RK Sport Hood finally arrived in, but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 PM
StatueMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK Sport Hood finally arrived in, but....

I posted this on another board as well....my effort at info sharing...My RK Sport hood finally made it to Germany after about 6000 miles and 8 weeks...but it was "damaged" or "bad" upon arrival. There's some material separation on one edge with no associated damage in that area. The local Chrysler dealer states they can't fix it. A local fiberglass repair company MAY be able to, according to the dealer. So far that's $1106.00 and it hasn't been touched yet as far as finishing it...and now has to have repairs. I'm getting a hold of RK Sport, ABF Freight, and the 4 German shipping companies that had a hand in delivery to see who has responsibility.
I'll update as it may reflect well or poorly on those that touched it as to how it's handled. RK Sport hasn't answered ANY of my e-mails since I paid for it so...not a great start.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: RK Sport Hood finally arrived in, but....

I do feel your pain, man.
I have well over $1,600 in mine and it's far from looking like it. It rubs in many spots, now showing white benieth what use to be black paint, has gouges where the wiper rubbed until I rigged it not to and every day you can see more and more fiberglass mesh. RKSport has not tried to make this right in any way. They said they'd "knock some price off a future purchase". That's kind of like a resurante comping your apitized when they burned your steak but I played along and ordered their carbon fiber chin spoiler. No discount at all. hmmmmmm. I waited weeks for the spoiler to arrive. No spoiler. I called Mo at RK wondering where it was and he explained those were on back order and he had no idea when they would even be available. "So I purchased something from your site that doesn't exist?" I asked. "No", he responded, "we'll just run the order through when they are available and charge your debit card at that time."
what? Man, I don't have time to play with companies like that and I sure don't need some doink surprising me with a 300 dollar debit out of the blue.
I cancelled the order, cut my losses and chalked it up to experience. Stay on em hard and heavy, StatueMan. It's obvious they won't be around very long.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Magman3
Professional

If I had that much money invested in a hood that I was unhappy with and the the company did nothing to make it right, I would file a complaint with the better business bureau. I had an issue with a dash kit once for my S10. I received it with small bubbles under the laminate cover. I installed the kit before noticing the problem. After calling the company they told me to remove the kit and send it back. After a week or two I received a package from the company, the same package I sent them. I called them and they told me that there was no problem with the kit. I had a kit that I could not use now because I tore the crap up taking it off my dash. The company would not budge. $200 down the drain. I feel your pain. The one thing I didn't do is file a complaint. Wish I would have now.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 AM
65standard
All Star

grin, sorry to hear about the hood shrinking. this is my biggest concern with fiberglass hoods. they really need to cure for months and months before the finally settle down. this is why my rk hood is still sitting in the garage.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:04 AM
White Heat

Sorry to hear about other problems. Grinner I knew of yours, I was in on the group buy. Mine sat in the garage for 3 weeks then I had it bake on my car for 3 weeks before it was properly fitted and painted. I too had issues and doesn't quite fit right (a super top body guy did the work) I have either a wiper rub and a larger than normal gap along the front edge, or if shifted forward, I get no rub and a smaller gap but the top edge of the hood doesn't align with the front edge of the grill top. I chose to have a gap and rubbing wiper (that I hope to remove a washer to fix) Grinner, where was that thread on you removing the washer? Is that what did the trick? Still real real happy with the look; the quality just could be much better. This company just doesn't do hoods well.

I will post pics of My Torquey Skunk Rocket after it stops raining and I can install my billet grill.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:36 AM
qzking
Professional

ORIGINAL: grinner

I do feel your pain, man.
I have well over $1,600 in mine and it's far from looking like it. It rubs in many spots, now showing white benieth what use to be black paint, has gouges where the wiper rubbed until I rigged it not to and every day you can see more and more fiberglass mesh. RKSport has not tried to make this right in any way. They said they'd "knock some price off a future purchase". That's kind of like a resurante comping your apitized when they burned your steak but I played along and ordered their carbon fiber chin spoiler. No discount at all. hmmmmmm. I waited weeks for the spoiler to arrive. No spoiler. I called Mo at RK wondering where it was and he explained those were on back order and he had no idea when they would even be available. "So I purchased something from your site that doesn't exist?" I asked. "No", he responded, "we'll just run the order through when they are available and charge your debit card at that time."
what? Man, I don't have time to play with companies like that and I sure don't need some doink surprising me with a 300 dollar debit out of the blue.
I cancelled the order, cut my losses and chalked it up to experience. Stay on em hard and heavy, StatueMan. It's obvious they won't be around very long.
Grin,
Are you advising me/everyone to wait for the Magnum Force hood or look elsewhere? Any other suggestions? I have photos of several hoods but I really like yours. The Shaker is interesting too, but cutting the hole is quite a committment! What the hell! I guess I can always buy another SRT8 hood if that didn't work out!

What do you suggest for my SRT8? Gotta have a custom hood!
KK

Old 06-23-2005, 03:35 AM
grinner
All Star

What Magnum Force hood? I only knew about he RK hood and the Shaker hood.
I'd go with the functional shaker hood on the SRT. I think it matches the vibe fine. No probs with it either. Pretty easy install or you can have it done for very little moolah.
Post pics of the magnum force hood, if ya can.
Waiting wouldn't be a bad idae if your the type that can. I'm not. I can't advise the viper hood though. I think it looks great, at least from afar but with the time and money I have put into it, it's hard to say it's a good deal. I'm just not impressed by the company behind it and that is worth alot to me. Companies like www.highhorseperformance.com are the model these start up mod companies should follow. But it's rare to find a great of a company as highhorseperformance, unfortunatly.

White heat, removing the spacer in the wiper arm assembly is what did the trick, finally. I had already hacked up my wiper arm with a dremmel trying to keep it from doing more dammage to the hood though. What a pain. I speant several needless hours cleaning up behind em on this hood, not to mention all the money it cost me paying by the hour to have a body shop prep it to be painted as best they could... which took five coats of sand n fill, block sanded between each one.
I don't remeber where the thread on removing the spacer is and I didn't shoot this particualr mod as I didn't look at it as so much of a customization as just wiping the *** of RKsport. You have to pop off the cawl, or enough to get under the arm. You'll see how it comes off once yer under there. Then remove the metal spacer and the rubber bushing. I kept mine for when I didtch the hood and get a better one. I'll have to replace the wiper arm later too. While that should be out of RK's pocket, I'm not waisting anymore time on them.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:55 AM
qzking
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: grinner
What Magnum Force hood? I only knew about he RK hood and the Shaker hood.
I'd go with the functional shaker hood on the SRT. I think it matches the vibe fine. No probs with it either. Pretty easy install or you can have it done for very little moolah.
Post pics of the magnum force hood, if ya can.
Waiting wouldn't be a bad idae if your the type that can. I'm not. I can't advise the viper hood though. I think it looks great, at least from afar but with the time and money I have put into it, it's hard to say it's a good deal. I'm just not impressed by the company behind it and that is worth alot to me. Companies like www.highhorseperformance.com are the model these start up mod companies should follow. But it's rare to find a great of a company as highhorseperformance, unfortunatly./quote]

Grin,
Seems like the lx forums website is down tonite and I think that's where I have ben seeing that! I can't believe you haven't been in on this Magnum Force hood deal. It's a member of one of the major forums that got with a mfg. in LA and it looked like they were just about ready to go into a limited production run of a "working" scooped hood. I have to tell you. I'm monitoring so damn many forums that I can't remember where I was 15 minuts ago.

I'm sure on of the others that watch these forums will help me/us out here. rev!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help me!

If not, as soon as I run across that thread I'll PM you.
KK

Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

grinner

First thing...I wasn't aware you're out of St. Louis... I'm from Houston , MO...a small burg in south central MO. As to RK, this is the first 24 hours and no response from them at all to my 22 Jun e-mail. I doubt they'll respond. I hate lawyers but may have to break down and talk to one. I've only known a few folks that are happy with the hoods...the vast majority, like you and "white heat", are less that pleased. I really regret this purchase but it may be a lesson for them as well. We'll see. I'm going to swing by and take photos this p.m. and post them. Maybe it'll better illustrate the problem.

As for anyone else contemplating a buy from these guys, you may want to consider LONG and HARD as to whether you want to deal with the lack of customer support and the less than stellar product RK is peddling. I bought because the hood looks unique BUT I regret it and it's not even on the car yet! Wait'll I try fitting it...from grinner's and white heat's experience it may be another nut roll.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:49 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

Picts of hood (hopefully they're there)

[IMG]local://upfiles/7446/0ACD2D62BDCE4794B81B175E2E7B73DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7446/7E804437B9484C7A8E1C84C2F242F56A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7446/EA311FFD0FD04424B3BA343052FDC764.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7446/778CFF9B90F6465DA51B634DFC36D24F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: RK Sport Hood finally arrived in, but....