Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Straight Piping It....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:57 AM
smokey0810
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Piping It....

Anyone cut out the suitcase and put in straight pipes? Was just wondering how this sounded and if it added any H.P.
Thanks,
Smokey

Old 06-24-2005, 03:22 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: Straight Piping It....

I have wanted someone to try this, I thought of it too late.

Replace the suitcase muffler with straight tubing and just run the rear resonators.

It should sound good.

Bob

Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Just remember that exhaust systems are designed for some back pressure. I have put on a a "redneck" exhaust (glasspacks) on my previous vehicle, '02 ram 1500 4.7L, and it actually hurt the bottom end. My only concern would be, to striaght it, would actually hurt the preformance. The same thing happened to my Harley when I put on drag pipes (no muffler). Once the motor spun up it was great but the lowend "umph" was decreased. I have put on Dynomax Ultraflow, basically a perforated tube striaght through the muffler case, and noticed that there is a small almost a lag until it hits 2500rpm. Luckily the 3.5L is a high rev engine and it takes off after 2500rpm. I was working with a friend who owns a muffler shop, we tried the Flowmaster 40 first. It sound great but the drone inside was unbearable. There is someone with an R/T that did 2 FM 40 and put on 12" glass packs inplace of the resonators and it killed the drone. Hopefully someone here will be able to say they did the straight piping and give you the results. Luckily I had the friend that was willing to experiment with me at cost.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:57 PM
smokey0810

Well, my other question would be, how REALLY unbearable is this drone? I mean, does having the radio on cover it up? I am running a Flowmaster American Thunder System on my Caprice (LT-1) with NO resonators, and I have little to no drone on the highway.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Magman3
Professional

It sounds good if you like rice burners because thats what it sounds like from inside. The outside sound doesn't sound any better, but thats with the v6. The Hemi would sound better I'm sure, v8's usually do. I went with a flowmaster 40 on my 3.5 with stainless 12" resonator from magnaflow, note the flowmaster/magnaflow hybrid exhaust. I love the sound. Sounds like my old 4.3L S10 I used to have, but a bit louder.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Here is the vid I did 0-118mph with the windows up. You can judge the level by the rattle of the keys. This is a 3.5L, dynamax Ultra Flo, no resonators.
You have to look at the 3rd post from the bottom of the first page. I had a lot of trouble with codecs to get it small enough to upload to the Sight & Sound section. Plus I have the exhaust soundbyte on the opening of my web page on my signature. It was recorded with a headset mic about a foot away from the tip.

0-118mph Video

Old 06-25-2005, 01:35 AM
BillB
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 356MAGNUM

Just remember that exhaust systems are designed for some back pressure. I have put on a a "redneck" exhaust (glasspacks) on my previous vehicle, '02 ram 1500 4.7L, and it actually hurt the bottom end. My only concern would be, to striaght it, would actually hurt the preformance. The same thing happened to my Harley when I put on drag pipes (no muffler). Once the motor spun up it was great but the lowend "umph" was decreased
A carb kit would have fixed your low end issues.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:37 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Im assuming you are talking about the Harley. I did stepping up 2 sizes on the jets. We were playing with it on a Dyno and stilll could not stop the dip.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:42 AM
BillB
Rookie

Weird, I have always had luck with the "screaming eagle" kit to make up for the pipes. Next time put an S&S on it, that cures all ills.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Magman3
Professional

Didn't sound bad at all. No drone that I could detect with no resonators? Did you do a duel setup? Did I see you rev up the motor and shift into drive from Neutral? ha ha. I raced a kid once when I had my 95 TBird. I had a 4.6 v8 and I raced a kid with a 92-93 Mercury Cougar with a 5.0L. He took me off the line because he did just that, had the car in neutral, reved the motor, and shifted into drive when we took off. Not a month later he dropped his transmission. Come to find out he did this all the time.
I wish these Mags had more take off power.

Quick Reply: Straight Piping It....