Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Test drove RT! Cabin Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
RTBit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove RT! Cabin Pressure?

OK...This is going to sound stupid, and I did do a search.

I drove a Magnum RT today. 2005 w/25,000 miles. I was impressed. I drive a 2000 Lincoln LS v8 and a 1995 Mustang GT (modified), to give you a base of what I am used to. It had more of a luxury road feel than my LS and a little numb in the steering, but nothing to whine about really. Just a nice driving car.

I have one complaint that I could not live with. My ears felt like they wanted to pop when driving it! My passenger said the same thing and was wondering when I was going to say something. It felt like someone had one window opened with the rest closed building up cabin pressure. This sounds stupid, but my passenger admitted it was borderline painful.

Anyone experience anything like this? Maybe it is just a seal problem. I tried cracking a window and the sunroof, but it didn't seem to help. I didn't hear any wind noise either. Car was smooth and quiet...just felt that pressure.

Also, they were asking $27,500 for it. KBB does not list the Magnum under used, so I am not sure what they are worth. I would be trading in my 2000 LS if I did something like this.

I really had my heart set on a 2005 Mustang GT, but saw the Magnum out there and thought I would test drive it. I have always liked the looks. My wife hates it, so even better.

I will browse the forum for more info. This is my first time visiting here.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:58 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Default RE: Test drove RT! Cabin Pressure?

I don't get the cabin pressure prob, but I DO THINK that the price they are asking is a little high. This is off a carsdirect.com concerining value.

Mileage. In many cases, a used vehicle's value is directly proportional to the number of miles on the odometer. Most vehicles are driven an average of 12,000 miles per year. When shopping used cars, it's typically a good idea to look at models that have only averaged between 10,000 and 12,000 miles per year or less. A used car's value depreciates considerably if it was driven more than 12,000 miles per year. (THATS TWO YEARS OF DRIVING ALMOST IN ONE YEAR ON THAT CAR)

Another thing to consider is that the 06's are already being ordered and the RT is not the top of the line model anymore.

AAA rates depreciation per mile as $0.144 cents. This works out to a 28.4k car if you bought at 32k. But then you have to look at things such as operating costs. IRS allows you to detuct 37.5cents per mile for work related cars to allow for depreciation this works out to 22750 dollars.

I read online that to figure it out really the cost per mile you have to figure in things such as tax, gas prices, mileage and it gets complicated. but those two number I through out there should give you a range between 23k and 28k. It comes down to how bad you want it, and can you find it cheaper else where. Honestly 25k is a lot of miles on a car in one year, Highway or not. that puts you closer to your warranty on the vehicle than say 15k mileage. Hope this helps

Old 07-02-2005, 11:27 PM
06MNRT
Professional

I am extremely sensitive to pressure and elevation and I have never felt anything in any Magnum I have driven (including my own of course). I would recommend test driving a new one just to see if you fele it again.

Just say NO to the Mustang. I too fell prey to its styling, but then snapped out of it when I remembered that in a couple of months EVERYONE will have one. There may be quite a few Magnums out there, but you don't see one too terribly often, but the Mustang is already a daily sight... imagine how many idiot kids are going to be running around with one in 6 months! I always saw the Mustang as a "Me too" car.

"Hey, you got a Mustang.... me too!"

Old 07-03-2005, 12:33 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

If i drive 55ish and have only one window down all the way, the wind does buffer. At 75 it gets really painful. I jst with er ro;; up the window about 3 inches or crack another window.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:56 AM
RTBit

Thanks all. The Magnum I drove today isn't a MUST have for me. I am exploring my options and staying open minded. Due to the higher mileage and pressure problem that the rest of you aren't having, I will wait until I find another one or see if I can drive a new one. I am only wanting to spend $25k or less on my next vehicle, so it will probably take me a while to find the right one. Is a $25K Magnum RT do-able?

On another note; I drove a 2005 GT Mustang after I started this thread today. I think it is a little more "bumpy" in ride than my '95! Granted, I have Bilstein struts/shocks that dampen well and aftermarket springs that stiffen it up quite a bit. I was just surprised. Turn-in was nice and the handling seemed pretty good. I think I would have a problem driving it in traffic though as the car really wants to go. The '95 isn't as bad that way. It will go if you mash it, but the '05 seems to have a very sensitive throttle. That throttle by wire stuff is probably programmed to make the car seem lighter than it is. I will say, it does seem lighter than my '95 in the way it responds.

06MNRT: I hear what you are saying about the Mustang and how common it will be. I had to face that with my '95, although you don't see too many of those models around any more. The good thing about that is that the aftermarket is strong. The Mustang is not a car you buy and leave alone. It is one that you build to your liking, which makes it unique.

The Magnum is in the running for me. I liked it the first time I saw it and still think it is in the top 5 designs in the last 10 years or so, in my book.

Don

Old 07-03-2005, 03:22 PM
dll2k4

Regarding used pricing, you should now be able to get an '05 R/T with more reasonable mileage under $25K, provided it's not loaded.
They have been building '06s for 3 months and with a little research and effort one can get an '06 for invoice or even lower.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:39 AM
RTBit

ORIGINAL: dll2k4

Regarding used pricing, you should now be able to get an '05 R/T with more reasonable mileage under $25K, provided it's not loaded.
They have been building '06s for 3 months and with a little research and effort one can get an '06 for invoice or even lower.
Thanks. That is good to hear! I don't need any of the extra toys. I just want one in excellent shape with a Hemi.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: RTBit

My wife hates it, so even better.
LMAO! Funny stuff!

Old 07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
smokey0810

I like that too...cause my wife hates it.....
Anyway, look on e-bay also. I have seen some R/T's w/ decent mileage going between 25-27K, fully loaded.

Quick Reply: Test drove RT! Cabin Pressure?