Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Best sound period?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:47 PM
06MNRT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sound period?

Ok, so there's Zoomers, Borla, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster exhausts for our babies.

Speaking from experience... which one flat out sounds the best, and has little to no drone?

I really want to make a decision quickly, but everytime I think I made it, someone orders a different one and swears it is the best... I really need to know for sure!

I want big, deep sound when I step on it (I don't want to sound like a raspy rice burner), and I want a fair rumble at an idle (but not excessive), and I want NO drone as I plan on a lot of highway miles this year.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 PM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: Best sound period?

this is like asking what the bast flavor of ice cream is. It's objective.
I can tell you I have magnaflows and headers & a cold air intake and do have drobe, which I don't mind at all. I love hearing the sound of fast cars. To me, the sound of my car is perfect. This is probably the case with every owner with very different combos though. (well except my wife who now wants hers to sound like mine)
A great sound with no drone can be had by simply removing the suitcase and adding nice tips. Flowmasters can give ya a nice sound with no drone.
Can't speak for zoomers. I've never heard em on the highway.

I'd say flowmasters with headers will give ya the best sound with the least drone but again, it's a metter of opinion as far as the best sound.

you can hear what mine sounds like by going to http://grinnerhester.com/Magnums
again, there is drone but if ya don't wanna hear it, you can turn up the stereo. I like ridin with the windows down just so I can hear it better.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:29 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Here's my experience. SXT single exhaust. Flowmaster 40, no resonator HORRIBLE DRONE!!!!!!!!! I could not hold a conversation at 25mph. There are a couple of guys that added glass packs where the resonators were and are happy with the sound. I switched to Dynomax Ultraflow because the place I went to sold me everything at cost and we were experimenting.

The website if you click on the link in my signature, you will hear the exhaust.

Here is a post I did of a 0-118mph run with a camcorder behind the drivers seat. You can hear the keys jingle so you know that it is not all that bad.
0-118mph SXT video. It is the 3rd to last post on the first page. I had a lot of trouble with codecs to get it to fit the size requirements of the site. The original vid is 40mb+

No laughing at how long it took to get form 85 to 118 hahaha. I did it in response to a post elsewhere that the SXT was limited to 85.

Here is the flowmaster audio that I had before Flowmaster 40-SXT Single Exhaust That classic flowmaster sound!!!!!!!!

Here is the Dynomax Dynomax Ultraflo-SXT Single exhaust

Both were recorded using a computer headseat and my laptop about a foot away from the tip.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Even if you lined up 6 Magnums with every exhaust option installed you'd still get differing opinions
I'd be there to check them out though

Personally I've found the Magnaflow mufflers to have a more mellow glaspack sound (which I like) as opposed to the Flowmasters you hear on 5000 Mustangs daily & are a bit tinnier IMHO.
That's just my opinion and a qwote from our local performance muffler shop.

I have the Magnaflows with 12" glaspacks in back to kill the drone and it's a sweet sound. Just loud enough.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

i vote for borla the "aggressive" version.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM
bobf

No drone and the least MDS sound, Borla 4 muffler setup.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:33 AM
grinner
All Star

perfect sound period?
here's mine with open headers:
http://grinnerhester.com/OpenHeaders.wav

Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Headers make all the difference in the world.
I wish I had the $$$$$$
Nice Grin

Old 07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Hey Grin,

Did you put in a cutout to run open with the pull of a cableas part of the install?

Old 07-13-2005, 07:39 PM
grinner
All Star

No. I wanted to after hearing it open but it sets of engine lights cuz of the sensors with cutouts so I didn't do it.
It sounds pretty dadgum mean when I want it to with the magnaflow kit on so it aint no thang. I just wanted the cutouts for the track anyway and the truth is, I just not at the track enough to justify fooling the sensors for this.

oh my God. I think I just spoke some logic.
pretend I didn't do that.

Quick Reply: Best sound period?