Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:45 PM
a76marine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket In-Dash Nav system?

I was wondering if anyone has been able to install an aftermarket Navigation system like the Pioneer AVIC-N2 into their Magnum?

Circuit City's website says it is compatible but I was leery because of the size and shape of the original deck.

If it can be done, is it something that is overly involved or can you just run out to Circuit City and have it put in?

I know you can purchase ones that stick to windows, etc. but I liked the idea of the in-dash installation.

Thank you for any help.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:48 PM
06MNRT
Professional
Default RE: Aftermarket In-Dash Nav system?

Have you considered simply going to your dealer and installing the factory unit?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM
grinner
All Star

I went with this Kenwood:

I like it alot. It's a touch screen so NAV is much quicker and easier than the factory NAV. It has two video in and outs too so not only was I ablt to feed my rear-view video camera to it, I was able to feed that signal from the deck to the monitors in my headrests. Handles CDs, DVDs, Mp3s, Sirius, ect.
Another great thing about it is it doesn't use the factory Satellite antennaon the top of the car so you can shave that fugly thang off. The downside to that is finding a spot for the Sirius antenna and the nav antenna that looks good. I put the sirius antenna on the dash and the nav antenna is tucked behind the eyebrow on the windshield.
Another downside is there is not an adapter available yet (to my knowledge) that will allow you to utilize the steering wheel audio controls. Uconnect now worky either but I didn't care about that.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional

Here you go. I did the Avic D1. I would recommend this over the N2 any day. Same features for a flat look. The only thing it doesn't have is the DVD player. SO unless you want that then get the D1. also with the D1 you can leave in the nav cd all the time. I had someone do the install for me. but basically all new wiring has to be run to by pass the buss system unless you have the four speaker system. ifyou don't have the after market bose speakers you will be fine. you will need to order the nav bezel the current radio one isn't big enough. then i have a piece of carbon fiber between the bezel and the avic. any questions email me at chrisuscga01@gmail.com

https://dodgeforum.com/m_245154/mpag.../tm.htm#245165

Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional

IN RESPONSE TO GRINNER....hey grinner has a sweet set up too..look at his. in response to the audio controls on the steering wheel..he is right. there isn't anything yet. but i was told that the piece will be out in two months. just a plug and play thing. i cna't remember off the top of my head who makes it. i can find out if you need me too.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:28 AM
a76marine

06MNRT... if you go with the factory install is there any benefits? It is my understanding that some of the features don't work right anyways if you don't get it done straight from the factory. That is why I was looking at aftermarket because you can get touchscreen and updated features.

Grinner and ChisUSC... wow, those installs look great. I was picturing one of the units that slide into a single DIN and then have the motorized screen that pops out, I didn't even think of getting one mounted straight in like that. I will check out the AVIC-D1. Grinner, what model is that Kenwood?

Thanks for the responses guys. The main problem is finding the exact car that I want. I don't think I am asking too much, Elec Conv Group, Conv Group II, Protection Group, Sunroof and Nav System. If I found a gray or black RT with those options for a decent price I wouldn't have to ask about adding anything, I would just be happy... okay, maybe some new rims and tires for the summer time.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:41 AM
grinner
All Star

It's the DDX7045
Plays DVDs, is HD friendly, eats windows media like candy and I havn't been able to make it skip once.
Plus, being touch screen, I can simply tap the screen to change DVD chapters, ect. Pretty neat to just touch DVD menus rather than navigate with the remote. It boasts it's own EQ, crossovers and offers presets for those or you casn manually set your own. Nothing in the manual says it's 5.1 surround sound capable but in playing certain movies, I have noticed more than 4 discreet channels, which is pretty dadgum awesome.
Here it is feeding the other screens:

Old 08-13-2005, 02:14 AM
chrisuscga01
Professional

If you haven't gotten your car yet, i would recommend getting the four speaker system. You are upgrading it anyway. This will eleviate alot of problems. If you want tweeters later run the wires yourself. The problem with the Avic N-2 was it would be blocking either one of two things when poped out. If it is in the lower din, then it blocks storage, if in in the upper din, it blocks air vents.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:32 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I just went with an aftermarket stand alone GPS. I got one just as big a screen, also a touch screen, clips to the windshield almost like a heads up display so its a lot easier to watch than looking down at console. Mine came with its own built in rechargable battery (4 hours) car cord, case and home charger. It has a flat map display or you can select a view with artificial horizon (makes the map look as it does out the windshield). Ive used it quite a few times already and its very accurate. Even shows things like gas, food, ATMs, hospital, etc. I like it this way because I can use it in both cars or the plane. Also can be handcarried, like for hiking or offroading. I got a special price of $450.00 for everything. Has maps for all 48 states, detailed down to even gravel and dirt roads...even can zoom in to show median on divided highways. You can see it at

http://www.navman.com/ICN510.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Jewbrad

Grinner I have a 07 dodge charger r/t and i was told that to install the kenwood or the pioneer Z3 i would have to buy a new trim bezel did u have to replace that for yours to fit

Quick Reply: Aftermarket In-Dash Nav system?