Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD - Does it Work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
F1fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AWD - Does it Work?

Hey,

Without a doubt, the AWD is fantastic on these beasts.
Living here in MN I've owned every imaginable drive system invented on cars/trucks over the years.
Obviously, there is a time and place for a 4WD truck, but most uf us have no need for that level of "go anywhere" capability.
This AWD on the LX serides is outstanding. With the ESP turned on...all you do is point and shoot. The car goes where pointed without an isssue. Turn off the ESP...and you can actually toss the car around abit for some fun on the unplowed roads.
Even with the crappy Conti's it came equipped with.
I was teetering wether to get it or not....but after our first 3" snowfall............there is no question in my mind that I made the correct choice.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Free_Style
Rookie

Nokian tires on a rear wheel RT makes a huge diff. 1 foot of snow no problem.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
IchabodSXT

ORIGINAL: SXTred

Of note i did just get the Cont 4x4 Snow tires for it.

I too have an SXT RWD. Just ordered the Conti's Winter Contact 4x4. They should arrive here (NJ) 12-5 or sooner. How do you like them? I read reviews and it sounded good, particular those from my father in law.

I had a hard time finding 17-215-65. I ordered a set of four 17-235-65 and will mount them on the stock wheels and upgrade to an 18" set in the spring.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
hipsterj
Professional

Were did you go for the snow Contis?
How much (I don't really want to know but I need to know) if possible?
Thanks

Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 PM
crazymjb
Professional

How does the system on the Magnum compare to that of the subaru(for those who have had both), my mom is also looking at those wagons[:'(]

She likes the magnum more but she is hung up over the poor visability, I think we will end up with the mag though.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crazymjb

We dont have ours yet but, yes, of course it does. RWD(like yours) is pretty much the worst for snow handling. The AWD has TCS on both the front and back, so you should be set(if you trade seriously consider an RT-AWD if you have the funds).

The magnums system is very similar the 4matic, and I have been in many a 4matic benz and I live on a steep icy hill, the scamper up as if it was dry.
I thought it was the 4matic system. Can this system be trusted to last at least 200,000 miles if taken care of? Would the Magnum be a good vehicle choice over an SUV if the roads that it will been driven on are not in very good shape?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
crazymjb
Professional

It is not identical to the 4matic system. Though not as good as more advanced AWD systems like SH-AWD, the system to my knowledge seems easier to service and simpler thus more durable, though it really depends on how well it is initially put together. The more advanced systems use electronically controlled power distribution from within the differential type boxes where this uses standard diffys with TCS, which means if it slips it applies break to the spinning wheel sending more power the otherway, which is more simple then the other systems. But again, it depends on how well it is put together.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Magzero

i love my RT AWD is's the first car ive driven and honestly say it's hard to crash

Old 05-28-2006, 06:06 AM
voltmfg

It definately works..It handles very well in the wet and snow. Coupled with the weight of the car it feels very planted. If you know how to drive and have some good snow tires the rear wheel will probably do fine in most places. But for the snow there is no substitute for AWD. The magnum doesn't handle like a subaru though. The car is too heavy and the suspension is too soft..but then again the reason I like it is because it's not a subaru

Old 06-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran

I got my AED about a year and some months back and the very first day i got the car on the 23 on Jan-05 it snowed that night into the next day. I was driving a 4 x4 toyota and i am glad i left it home that day. I love the way this thing pulles right though with no issues at all. If i had the cash all my cars would be AWD and i wish i could have a 6.1 in the car with AWD. thats a dream but no kiiding if your thinking of buying one dont wait. If you live in a part of the country that you could really use it buy it. I am in Pa and it gets very hard to get around in the winter with all the hills and trucks on the road getting stuck. BUY now.

Quick Reply: AWD - Does it Work?