Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD - Does it Work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
pdjmwj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD - Does it Work?

Hi, Question for AWD owners. Currently own a 2005 Magnum SXT and I'm quite happy with it, after pull to right was fixed that is. Last year I had trouble with going up the hill leaving my house in snow. Traction control barely let me get out with just a little of snow on the road.

Does AWD work any better then not having it? Bothers me so much I'm thinking of selling and getting a 4WD something. I'm seriously thinking about trading in for the Magnum AWD depending on the responses I get, I like it that much.

Thanks in advance to all.....

PS: I've posted this same question on other Magnum sites..

Old 11-26-2005, 10:48 PM
crazymjb
Professional
Default RE: AWD - Does it Work?

We dont have ours yet but, yes, of course it does. RWD(like yours) is pretty much the worst for snow handling. The AWD has TCS on both the front and back, so you should be set(if you trade seriously consider an RT-AWD if you have the funds).

The magnums system is very similar the 4matic, and I have been in many a 4matic benz and I live on a steep icy hill, the scamper up as if it was dry.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
trumanator

AWD works - I do have wide tires and I did have to do a lot of shopping for cable chains (not to put on as much as show the hwy control I had them in the car) Finally got to Mammoth late one eve and plowed/icy streets were there. I first tried the auto braking stuff because I never used it before - but I could stomp my RT/AWD and what a treat feeling the computers or whatever kicks in to manage no wheel slip on ice. Spent an hour, to Nancy's dismay gunning it and stomping the brakes. I did finally fool the system. At a full stop and a 90 degree turn I stomped the gas and did the hard right - backend slid out temporarly but then you could feel the system gather things back up. I do know that the manual sez if you have to chainup turn the AWD off and chain rear tires. - Please advise me of other Dodge sites worth the effort? Thanks - TTL

http://tralfaz.net/snowmag/Snowmag.mov

Old 11-27-2005, 12:10 AM
chuckles_1205

Yes AWD works great, but I have rear wheel drive se magnum I have just driving it some nasty minneosta snow/ice crap and it didn't handle to badly and I went some freaking step slopes which sucked! I guess if you know how to drive a rear wheel drive mag its better then the AWD if you asking me of course I was brought up drive trucks so thats why to.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:14 AM
crazymjb
Professional

Even with AWD you should get a nice set of snow tires. I hear Bridgstone Blizzaks are supposed to be excellent but the cheaper 70 buck michelin X-ices are also supposed to be pretty good.

The magnum has a constant transfer of power 68/32. so the AWD cant be turned off, however the ESP can which I believe also disengages the TCS. Though I see no reason to turn of the TCS unless you are trying to swing the @$$ around, which the magnum doesnt allow anyway, even with the system off(not you may also get slightly better initial acceleration with the system off, on dry ground that is).

Old 11-27-2005, 02:43 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

I spend a lot of time on fair to good logging roads on post here in Germany, and with the amount of snow we get, I would not have another non-AWD car (I don't like SUVs). This Magnum is my third AWD (the other 2 were Passats) and although I fell in love with it at first sight, I had to wait until the AWD came out to order. It for sure works, and in my opinion (and everyone gets to have one) anyone that claims that RWD is as good in snow has not tried both in the snow. Just my 2 cents worth, but I only drive 20,000 plus miles a year....

Old 11-27-2005, 08:36 PM
crazymjb
Professional

Thats a decent amount of yearly miles, 55 or so a day. No doubt AWD is MUCH better then FWD or RWD.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:11 AM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I live in ohio and get a fair amount of snow and ice. I was brought up on RWD and have very few problems. The only one thats given me fits is my 88 Corvette with 275/40 tires all around. Ive had one FWD, a lumina minivan, and I hated it on snow. If you live in a city, id see no reason to own an AWD or 4x4 myself. Ive always though FWD was overrated also since every close call Ive ever had was in FWD.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
hipsterj
Professional
Default Snow

Hey Chuckles, I'm from Bloomington and had the wife's RT out in the snow on Friday/Saturday and that ESP stuff works well.
The way it straightens you out when sliding left or right is way cool!
When turned off I did get the car to do a 180, kids love it, wife doesn't.
Will try the stock Contis for a bit and decide about snows when the wife really complains.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
SXTred

I took my SXT RWD to Montana for Thankgiving and it did well. Most of the passes were clear going over but coming back they had a little slick to them. Friday night it started to put down a little freezing rain and i got to play around a little. I was very impressed with how well it held on and how the system corrected when i fishtailed it a few times.

Was going to get pictures of just how dirty it got talk about a mess so i had to wash it yesterday. Hard to keep the rear window clean as the back of the car went from red to grey.

Of note i did just get the Cont 4x4 Snow tires for it.

Quick Reply: AWD - Does it Work?