Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD - Does it Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
MagnumRT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AWD - Does it Work?

Cheaper to keep your car and buy some snow tires for it.

Bob

Old 07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
bababooey

ORIGINAL: pdjmwj

Hi, Question for AWD owners. Currently own a 2005 Magnum SXT and I'm quite happy with it, after pull to right was fixed that is. Last year I had trouble with going up the hill leaving my house in snow. Traction control barely let me get out with just a little of snow on the road.

Does AWD work any better then not having it? Bothers me so much I'm thinking of selling and getting a 4WD something. I'm seriously thinking about trading in for the Magnum AWD depending on the responses I get, I like it that much.

Thanks in advance to all.....

PS: I've posted this same question on other Magnum sites..
how did you get the pulling to the right fixed?

Old 07-01-2006, 08:11 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Though I don't own a Magnum, I have owned RWD, FWD, and AWD. I have experience driving the first two in snow, sleet, ice, rain, and dry weather. I've only driven the AWD in rain and dry weather.
It seems to me that RWD and FWD in weather don't fair as well as AWD. FWD is easier to control in weather, but has issues with traction when power is applied and you lose the front end (understeer). RWD seems to be good at putting power down to the road when dry but tends to lose the back end to a slide with too much power applied (oversteer). Both seem to have traction issues with anything close to 3/4 throttle from anything under 25-40MPH, depending on the vehicle and tires. AWD seems to be the best of both worlds. I find that revving my motor to 5k rpm on dry streets (test purposes) makes my car jump off the line after releasing the clutch with all 4 wheels gripping the road and only a slight chirp on really wet roads...while my wife's caravan (FWD) looses traction if you don't pay attention from a stop on dry roads (hard to go from her car to mine sometimes). I learned to drive RWD manual in VA. and as an inexperienced driver in snow....I oversteered quite a bit, it was better in FWD. Anyway...

I am no way biased to AWD...ok, maybe a little. Just from my experiece and to add my opinion to your question....yes, AWD grips the road a lot better than FWD and RWD. Think about it, you have all 4 wheels trying to keep traction, alternately, for you as opposed to only two. I don't know about 4WD since I've never owned one, but I would think that it's just as tough to keep traction since power is applied to all 4 wheels at the same time as opposed to a differential applying it to the gripping pair of wheels.

Quick Reply: AWD - Does it Work?