Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Power Draw!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Imsinin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Draw!

Hello everyone, thought maybe some of you might have some suggestions on my newest issue. I have an 05 Magnum running 2 JL Audio 10w7 drivers. 2 JL Audio 500/1 amps and 1 JL Audio 300/4 amp. I have upgraded the ground to 0-gauge wire and use the best quality wiring throughout the system. I run a 6.5v Pioneer Premier head unit. I started to have a BAD dimming issue so I took it to have the batteries and alt checked; there were no problems with either. I added a second deep cycle battery (0 gauge wiring as well) and still have really bad draw even when the system is not hitting hard. I have had everything metered and all looks good, so what is the problem?? Any suggestions? I have used this same stereo set up in my Durango and never had this issue. I have even sent my amps back to JL to have them checked by the factory.

Last week, just for grins I took shut down all the amps but 1 500/1 and only ran one sub, still getting horrible draw, to the point it is hard to drive at night with the headlights flickering.

Any input would be great, I have had several show cars and NEVER had this issue in the past.

Thanks!!

(Posted in another forum as well)

Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Street Beast
Default RE: Power Draw!

Have you installed a capacitor? If you run your power to your amps through a cap, 2 amps = 2 caps that should clear up any issues of a signifigant draw. Adding an auxillary battery might not fix this type of problem; dimming is caused by a draw which your alternator cannot provide enough amps for all running accecories.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:27 PM
theoppositeofsuicide

I agree. Adding a Capacitor should clear up the poblem. I have a one Farad capacitor and I run two Audiobahn 12" Flame Q's.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 AM
K2
Rookie

What about checking your factory grounds, maybe with all that thumpin something worked loose?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:58 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Street Beast

Have you installed a capacitor? If you run your power to your amps through a cap, 2 amps = 2 caps that should clear up any issues of a signifigant draw. Adding an auxillary battery might not fix this type of problem; dimming is caused by a draw which your alternator cannot provide enough amps for all running accecories.
You hit the nail on the head. The best solution would be a bigger alternator. Whats the total RMS watts of your system? At what point of the install did the lights start flickering? From what I understand dual batteries only help when the engine is not running, they even put on more of a load. Charging 2 batteries instead of one. Now for db dragrace class that requires the engine to be off, like street A it would help getting a longer lasting reading. Right now I am being torn between replacing the battery with a deepcycle for comp and a cap for the slight headlight dimming I have. Cant afford to do both right now. I wil probably go with the cap, I compete maybe 5 times a year but drive more at night ahha.

Here is a chart of watts vs draw, basically 16 ampere for every 100w.
Current Draw by Power
Total RMS
Power (watts) - Current Amps
100 - 16
200 - 32
400 - 64
600 -96
800 - 128
1000 - 160
1200 - 172
1400 - 188

This will decide how big of a cap you need.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Imsinin
Rookie

Thanks for all the input. I do not have a cap yet, I have never used one to be honest with you. I have been looking around and found a nice cap (3f) that I will try to pick up this week. It sounds as if my grounding is good, I will post some pics of the install later today so maybe you can take a look over it for suggestions. Also I contacted dodge and they are telling me that my car has a 140 alternator, hard to believe that I am getting this much draw if this is the case.

Thaks again, will post pics soon.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Imsinin
Rookie

Here is a picture of my amp rack so far (top view) so you can see where eveything is. Maybe this will help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24454/09BC1899658244BCB6BCA31CF619AB55.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Imsinin
Rookie

And this is a picture of the underside of the hinged rack to see how all is tied together.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24454/7650C6A7BF944A2FA61807EF0016BCA8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Power Draw!