07 r/t slapstick issues - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Magnum
Reload this Page >

07 r/t slapstick issues

Notices
Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

07 r/t slapstick issues

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Sudden
Sudden is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Default 07 r/t slapstick issues

Good afternoon, I'm new here and it seems like a great place to get help. I have an 07 r/t magnum. I want to send it to my son in the army, but before I do it has a transmission problem I need to resolve. Most times the car runs great, but every so often the slapstick shifter will not work. When this happens it drives fine, but when you floor it to pass it revs up to the limiter and won't shift until the rpms come back down. The only other thing I have noticed about this issue is that when this does occur the shifter is very tight and seems jammed up. Thank you in advance for your time and I appreciate any advice or opinions.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 PM
draftingmonkey
draftingmonkey is offline
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 717
Default

There have been transmission issues that were "fixed" by having updates flashed to the PCM. As for jamming issues there is no mechanical linkage to the transmission. This is a shift by wire (electronic) shift setup. You might want to disassemble the shifter to see if there are any broken parts, lots of plastic in there, or if maybe a drop or two of lube may help. If the issue is getting out of park you may have the infamous "pink thingy" problem.
This two part video will help to show how the shifter comes apart, even if it is geared towards replacement of the "pink thingy".
Part 1
Part 2
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Sudden
Sudden is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you for the input. I will look into this.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 AM
HemiLonestar's Avatar
HemiLonestar
HemiLonestar is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 3,665
Default

Originally Posted by draftingmonkey View Post
There have been transmission issues that were "fixed" by having updates flashed to the PCM. As for jamming issues there is no mechanical linkage to the transmission. This is a shift by wire (electronic) shift setup. You might want to disassemble the shifter to see if there are any broken parts, lots of plastic in there, or if maybe a drop or two of lube may help. If the issue is getting out of park you may have the infamous "pink thingy" problem.
This two part video will help to show how the shifter comes apart, even if it is geared towards replacement of the "pink thingy".
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=proRqdfJCP4
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd6Ocitj3k
TCM. LX's have a separate TCM from the PCM, transmission control flashes would be loaded here.
You're kidding right? No shift cable? Have you taken any parts of your Magnum apart? Fully electronic gearshifter didn't happen til 2011. Since I'm sure you will attempt to refute that, it is Mopar p/n 4578073AD, looks like this:

The engine throttle body is fly-by-wire, not the shifter. Please know what you're talking about before offering advice, this is how wrong information gets disseminated.

Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
Good afternoon, I'm new here and it seems like a great place to get help. I have an 07 r/t magnum. I want to send it to my son in the army, but before I do it has a transmission problem I need to resolve. Most times the car runs great, but every so often the slapstick shifter will not work. When this happens it drives fine, but when you floor it to pass it revs up to the limiter and won't shift until the rpms come back down. The only other thing I have noticed about this issue is that when this does occur the shifter is very tight and seems jammed up. Thank you in advance for your time and I appreciate any advice or opinions.
It's called Autostick, but I like the throwback reference lol. Are you getting any kind of communication error code or shifter/TCM error (need a good scanner, these will not throw CEL but will show up on an electronic emissions test)? Does the austostick work the way it's supposed to completely or only partially? Based on your symptoms thus far, it sounds like your TCM is messed up (had this happen on my wagon). More info will help though.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 PM
draftingmonkey
draftingmonkey is offline
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 717
Default

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
TCM. LX's have a separate TCM from the PCM, transmission control flashes would be loaded here.
You're kidding right? No shift cable? Have you taken any parts of your Magnum apart? Fully electronic gearshifter didn't happen til 2011. Since I'm sure you will attempt to refute that, it is Mopar p/n 4578073AD....
You caught my mistake before I was able to post a correction. Between helping a neighbor with his late model Charger tranny issues and the wife's stress from having her 100 year old father undergo hip replacement surgery, I should not have looked for distractions here. Tired and confused is not an excuse and did not have computer access when I realized my mistake until now, so you caught my mistake before I could correct.
I offer apologies to the OP for not totally accurate information.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM
HemiLonestar's Avatar
HemiLonestar
HemiLonestar is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 3,665
Default

Originally Posted by draftingmonkey View Post
You caught my mistake before I was able to post a correction. Between helping a neighbor with his late model Charger tranny issues and the wife's stress from having her 100 year old father undergo hip replacement surgery, I should not have looked for distractions here. Tired and confused is not an excuse and did not have computer access when I realized my mistake until now, so you caught my mistake before I could correct.
I offer apologies to the OP for not totally accurate information.
Ugh that sucks, you have my condolences (for your father in law). What's wrong with the other Charger?
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Sudden
Sudden is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Default

I greatly appreciate all the info provided. I pulled the car out yesterday. The battery was dead so it reset itself. When the auto stick is acting up it is very stiff moving side to side and will not go up or down from D. And when you floor it and expect it to respond by taking off, it revs up to the limiter and doesn't down shift. At present there is no engine light on. But before the only engine light code was associated with the exhaust and a leak I think before the converter. I hope this explaination is some what better. Again I thank everyone for their input.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 AM
HemiLonestar's Avatar
HemiLonestar
HemiLonestar is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 3,665
Default

The TCM communication code won't show up as a check engine light. It sounds like there is something wrong with your shifter itself. It should smoothly go back and forth and side to side. You need to take it somewhere with a better scanner than you have (and/or have better diagnostics performed than by remote through the interwebs).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 r/t slapstick issues


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: