Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Back with a Graphics question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back with a Graphics question...

Hey all,

Haven't posted (or been around) for quite some time. Work has kept me far too busy to be able to think 'happy Magnum thoughts' in the past few months.

But I'm back......and I have a question.

About 4 weeks ago, some loser desided it was time to deface my Magnum. My car, and a neighbour's (very nice) Dodge truck were both keyed down the side. As you can imagine I was pretty upset (still am). They got the driver side front door...and the front fender. They also wrote profanities in the frost on the hood (which made a couple surface scratches - I can buff those out).

So anyways.....my previous ride had three separate comprehensive insurance claims on it. Which means if I go thru insurance to fix my Mag....the insurance company is going to double my deductable and raise my yearly rate. To get the car fixed will cost just over $1100 (Cdn). So either way....thru insurance or thru paying for it myself.....lots of money leaves my pocket. I'm not interested in either of those two options...but I don't want to just leave the scratch there. So I was thinking about getting some custom graphics added down the sides. Thankfully (if that's possible here) the keyed scratch is in the area where a nice graphic could cover it very well (just under the door handle height). I've talked to a local graphics company and they're gonna come up with a couple options for me. But I was also wondering if anyone here knew of any links to Magnum photos with graphics on the sides. I want to see plenty of options before I get this done. They gave me a ballpark price and it's about a quarter of what it would cost the body shop to fix.

So if anyone has links to photos with subtle side graphics (don't want anything wild and crazy).....let me know.

Thanks,
Lyle

Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 PM
05SXT
Default RE: Back with a Graphics question...

I know these are above the door handle and you need below, but have a look at these, maybe the company has something else that would suit your needs

Side Graphics

As usual, I do not have any involvement with the company, yada, yada...... just thought they may have what you need

Good luck

Old 12-17-2005, 12:08 AM
65standard
All Star

these are a great price at $85 a set

[IMG]local://upfiles/13006/A9800ED89F5F452098C16258612DFA8A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

The graphics above are great, that car in the photos is mine.

I did the graphics application myself and it was easy.

Have more photos if you need them.

Bob

Old 12-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional

The baisc shape of the posted 'side graphic' above is what I want. However.....the broken-up pattern would allow the scratch to be seen quite easily. I will show the image to the guy doing my graphics so he knows where I'm heading with my thinking.

Thnaks for the help so far.

Lyle

Old 12-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Olddad

http://www.ptcruiserclubstore.com/ca...ts_id=502http:
//www.magneticflames.com/p.freedomeagle.htm

I was looking around last night for magnetic graphics. These 2 site are the only ones I bookmarked.
I had vinyl put on the sides of my Vette and very happy with the way it looks. Sorry no pics .
I like the idea of magnetic because there removable and less money than airbrush.
Keep an open mind when looking. Some graphics shops can give you what ever you can dream up.
I'll post pics. when I can
Olddad

Old 12-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Olddad

BTW- Use denatured alcohol and clean scraches then seal with touchup paint with a small brush.
If you go with magnetic wash&wax . With Vinal the scratches my show through if deep.
Good luck

EDIT I have placed 3 pictures of my Vette the day my graphics were installed see attachments.

Grinner- Not many people snicker. Even fewer, of the ones that have, have passed it.
On the positive side Vinal is less money and easly removed. I agree to photo and draw out ideas
before, thats what I did.
Olddad

Old 12-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional

Not sure I want to go with flames. Looking for a more subtle look. But I'll keep an open mind to anything before I decide.

I too was also concerned about the scratch showing thru. In a couple spots yes, the scratch is deep. I was thinking of touching them up prior to getting the graphic applied.

Thanks,
Lyle

Old 12-18-2005, 02:19 AM
grinner
All Star

I do understand thinking of covering the scratches with graphics but graphics are a big deal on any car. To look good (or better yet... not cheezy) they have to be well planned out and they have to follow the body line of the car. They have to match the cars attitude and they should accentuate yours. Covering scratches with graphics, especially vinyl or magnetic ones, will almost certainly come out as cheeze ort best case scenerio... cheeze.
I have had a few very cool accident surprises with graphics in my day that tirned out better than I could have planned them but, man, those are rare situations. Covering a key down the side of a car and matching it on the other side is most likely not one of those situations. My advice is to have it fixed. If you want some custom paint, plan it out, draw it out, photoshop it and print it. Pick what best enhances the ride and go with that but a huge cover up job will most likely just make it worse, reduce the value of the car more and get ya snickered at at red lights.
Not trying to be a buzzkill here, man. Just trying to save you some money. I have speant time and money covering stuff up before only to spend more to do it right later.
It's cheaper to do it right the first time.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
65standard
All Star

ORIGINAL: MagnumRT

The graphics above are great, that car in the photos is mine.

I did the graphics application myself and it was easy.

Have more photos if you need them.

Bob
hey bob, can we see some more pictures of your magnum? please...

Quick Reply: Back with a Graphics question...