Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Questions from a prospective Magnum buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM
mphil804
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a prospective Magnum buyer

I just have a couple questions I was hoping you could answer about the Dodge Magnum. When I graduate after this semester I want a new car (I currently drive an '00 Corolla) to drive to work. I've done a lot of research on it online but have found extended reviews or reliability reports hard to find. How is the Magnum in terms of reliability during or past the warranty...or in general? Also, I don't think I'd get the RT version, but what's the best balance of value and quality for the trim styles? (I'm leaning toward the mid-level one). Basically it's been a debate between the Scion xB and the Magnum and I'm not really sure which to choose. Any input? Thanks!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Hoss350
Default RE: Questions from a prospective Magnum buyer

You absolutely cannot beat the toyota for realiability, or honda, there are some who have had issues, but 98 percent of those owners, go trouble free for 100,000 plus. If they made a decent looking car or truck I would absolutely have no doubt that I would own one. My magnum gave me issues right off of the dealer drive way, there are others on here who have had multible issues with them. Look at the Tsb list for these cars on this sight, they give you a list of some of the problems SOME of these cars are having. However there are alot of other owners on here who have had no issues. Have I yet to talk somebody with 100,000 miles on there magnum no, and I don't think they have been out long enough to prove themselves. which is why I did not buy a 06 because Dodge lowered the drive train warranty to 3 years instead of 7 like on the 05. I bought a 05. I bought my car on the 1st of the year , it went back to service for 12 days for issues. I'm not trying to be one sided but I have owned many honda's and toyotas and have never had any issues with them. I'm just going off my experiences, everyone has different ones.

good luck with your choice.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
hyperbolic

Consumer Reports survey rated the Magnums reliability as "very good" to "excellent" in 12 out of 15 catagories except for the suspension, "body integrity" (whatever that covers) and body hardware were it was rated "good". I have a Hemi in mine and have had no troubles requiring a service visit in the 11 months I've owned it.

Interesting that you're looking at the Scion. Totally different cars. Have you taken a look at the Ford Focus wagon? I traded mine in on the Magnum because I wanted more room and power but I really enjoyed the Focus while I had it.

BTW. I love the Magnum.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Magnum 2005 RT

I bought my magnum RT in April of 05. I love the car. It is wonderful to drive. All the other cars look alike. Can't tell one from the other. But, not the Magnum. It does stand out.
Have I had problems? You Bet. Big ones. the car has had two major problems, starting at around 600 miles and been in the shop so far 21 days.
Would I have another? Well, I would love to. But, I have not made up my mind about that yet. I just can't find another car that excites me. That is not to say that everyone has had these problems. I just got unlucky enough to get a bad one. And, I believe that can happen with any car. Only you can decide, and I hope my problems will not affect your decision.

B. J. Krevics

Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Have had my RT Magnum since June of 04', no problems at all. Have 15,000 miles on it now, it just keeps getting better and better.

Still love the looks of it.

Bob

Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Hoss350

So far, that goes with what I was saying about high mileage on a magnum, I don't think anyone has any type of high miles on one to give some input on the long haul, how these things do with 80 to 100,000 miles. Normally I don't buy cars that don't have enough history, but as 2005 RT said, and he hit the nail on the head, as far as looks go, this is the best looking car on the road, besides the charger, and that was enough for me to buy. All the other cars look like space bubbles to me. And as I said before, I come from a honda and toyota ownership background. I just hope this car holds up. But hey when it breaks down, it will still look good in my drive way. ha ha

Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM
KGBpro
Professional

once you drive it.......................you'll fall in love................just dont get bit by the mod bug like i did LOL

Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Olddad

congrats on finishing school. I hope you have a good job or one waiting for ya!
I'd just like to add- I feel, from your tone, Stay away from the Hemi's. you will not like feeding any of them.
there are many good cars out there keep looking for whats right for you.
good luck

Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 PM
LakeErieFish
Rookie

Hello,
A happy 2005 R/T owner here, I've got over 8k on my Hemi Magnum & it hasn't been in the service shop for anything but oil changes.
(I did have the door repaired after someone backed into my car)

I'll bet if you search the web for forums for every different brand/model of car, you'll find alot of cars that do have excessive repair shop time regardless of there make/model.

I'm sure all of the bugs that were discovered in the 2005's will be corrected on the 2006 models.
Currently I'm getting about 13-14mpg on average city driving. The SXT doesn't get that much better 16-18mpg.

I will say that you may need to test drive a Magnum for a day or two before deciding. Backing-up can be tricky at night(dark windows)
Check to see if you can rent a Magnum for the week-end or get a loaner from a dealership, this may help you decide.
Even if you have to spend $100 dollars for a week-end rental, it may be worth it in the long run.

The Magnum isn't for everybody, but neither is a 40mpg Hybrid.
But there's definitely nothing like the Magnum out there on the road.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25861/157421E6A3284AAA9DBC399903F5D937.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2006, 12:16 PM
mamas magnum

24,000 trouble free miles on ours, love it . Ours is an sxt and we get arount 22 mpg all the time and even better on trips. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Questions from a prospective Magnum buyer