Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Idiots at dealer damage my roof!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 01:28 AM
kowalcs
|
Professional
Default Idiots at dealer damage my roof!!!

Well, I took my brand new R/T AWD to the dealer today for them to fix my ash tray that won't close. I took it in this morning and picked it up at lunch. They told me that it was all fixed, so I go get in it and the tray still won't close. I go back in and talk to the tech. He tells me that they just ordered the parts today and will have to fix it when they come in. He was mistaken because the parts were ordered two weeks ago and should have been there. After some discussion with the service advisor, they find the parts and he tells me that it will just take 20 minutes and then I can be on my way. At this point, I have no idea why they called me and told me that it was done. Whatever. So, 20 minutes goes by and they tell me it's done and they pull it up to the door. Then, the manager comes out and tells me that they had a little accident with my car. From what I can tell, I think they opened up their service door, but not high enough and then went to back my car out. It damaged my spoiler and put a series of deep gouges about 8" wide and 3-4' long on the top of the gate and roof. I was livid. I come in to get my ash tray fixed and leave in a rental car. I told them that I wanted a similar vehicle as a rental and was told by the manager that they couldn't do it and that I could get the best vehicle that Hertz had. Winds up that their best vehicle was a frikkin' Toyota Highlander. Now I'm really p*ssed. The manager calls me back later and says that I can bring it back tomorrow and they will give me another Magnum until they fix my car.
So, this is the first brand new vehicle I have ever owned and now after only 3000 miles, the whole roof will be repainted. Unbelievable. The top of the gate has a small dent (smaller than a door ding), so that will need filler. What would you guys do in this situation? I called the general manager of the dealership and left him a piece of my mind. He hasn't called me back yet. They better do one hell of a job fixing it or they will be redoing it until you can't tell that it was painted. They told me that they will detail it inside and out when they are done. Big deal. It's a brand new vehicle. It doesn't need to be detailed! Just thought I would vent to my fellow Magnum owners.

Old 01-24-2006 | 12:27 PM
CarFinish
Rookie
Default RE: Idiots at dealer damage my roof!!!

That sucks ..sorry to hear. Unfortunately a repair job is all that is available as an option. The positive is they really will not have to blend to the rest of the car since it is the roof.

Once you get the car back here are some thing to do;

1- check all plastic pieces and trim pieces around the repair to make sure they did not burn them when they polish the paint/clear. If those are burnt badly have them replace as well if not too difficult. They will use an oily type polish to make any areas where the polishing compound might have burned.

2- Do not accept the car at night time... pick it up either late morning or mid afternoon and look for garbage in the paint. Pay attention to how they finished the edges of the worked area. Look for signs of rough lines Since it is the roof, get up on a ladder or something so you can look down at the roof...and of course you will look at eye level.

3- they have to detail your car because they will make a mess of it during this type of job. so you are right big fricken deal.

sorry about preaching, but because this is abrand new car you want the work to be the best possible...hope it works out well.

Have Fun ...I mean a lot of fun with the loaner magnum.[sm=burnout.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Stell

Old 01-24-2006 | 01:58 PM
K2
Rookie

Me personally I would tell them I do not want any body filler on the car and if that requires changing out the hatch then they better change out the hatch ...especially with every thing they have put you through in the past few days

Old 01-25-2006 | 08:38 PM
Olddad

Man that really sux.
I hope they fix it you your satisfaction!
Thats a major fix.
I'd ask to keep the tires and put them on a new replacement car! At thier expence.
Good lock

Old 01-25-2006 | 10:44 PM
LakeErieFish
Rookie

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your car,
I would take the car to the BEST body shop in your town & arrange a direct payment between the dealership & the body shop of YOUR choice.
Remember, car dealerships don't make their money from their body shops, they make their money selling cars....

I just wouldn't be able to trust the dealer with the quality of work, especially if they have to eat the cost of the repair.
Have you see anything the dealership has painted before?

Since money isn't the issue here, Who would YOU trust to repair your baby? (a car dealership or a professional body shop who makes their living painting cars)

Good Luck...

[IMG]local://upfiles/25861/9B13F8161FF746718D446A268142DD61.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2006 | 02:35 AM
henry
Rookie

ORIGINAL: LakeErieFish

Remember, car dealerships don't make their money from their body shops, they make their money selling cars....

If a dealership had to rely on car sales to make money he'd be out of business within a year.
Dealerships make their real money from the repair departments. Car sales are just a necessary evil to maintain their service departments and relationship with the manufacturers.

Knowing this I shake my head in bewilderment at the complete lack of competence some service departments show.

Old 01-26-2006 | 04:47 AM
wisconsinmagnum
Rookie

sorry to hear about all that dude

good luck, Give em' Hell

and be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

matt

Old 01-26-2006 | 11:06 AM
MagnumRT
Captain

I have had some horror stories of my own with dealers, that is why I refuse to take it in for service unless I really have to.

I bought many cars from my Brother-in-law who has a dealership, got great deals on buying but even their service work sucked.

Bob

Old 01-26-2006 | 11:14 AM
kowalcs
|
Professional

I'm supposed to get the car back tomorrow. They say they aren't cutting any corners and it will look perfect, blah, blah, blah. We'll see. If I'm not satisfied, they're redoing it or I'm sending it somewhere else. At least it's the roof and they don't have to blend anything. I've given them hell up to this point. My main concern was the warranty on the paint. I bought the car and plan to have it 5-10 years. The manager tells me, "Well, I'm 99% sure our warranty on paint is for life." I told him, even if it's not, you guys should be bending over backwards for me and doing whatever it takes to make me happy. He agreed and said he will warranty it for life. It just makes me sick that I have a brand new car that already has lost a lot of its factory paint. No matter how hard you try to take care of your car, someone else will always eff it up.
I have seen other work from this dealership and they do a good job. Hopefully mine is no exception.

Old 01-26-2006 | 11:05 PM
LakeErieFish
Rookie

I hope all goes well for you, and the dealer....

Quick Reply: Idiots at dealer damage my roof!!!