Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

moddin on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
SemiHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: moddin on a budget

ORIGINAL: Jaime340

grinne, i think i saw your video like 5 or 6 times, that rt is something els my rt is still bone stock what would you suggest for the first modd. i have about 300$ to spend now. is that even enough for a modd? thanx again
The first thing is to pick a plan, AND STICK TO IT haha. I dont know how much money I spent on my stereo that I changed. I could have probably done another stereo over haha. First upgrade just the 4 speakers, then add a sub& amp, then change the headunit, then make it all Alpine, then add DVD, then add an overhead DVD monitor, then shange the sub box for sound competitions(Takes up a bit of space, now I am going with changing the back again to stock and have a removable sub box(since moving need the room). Atleast I still can use the sub box, just have to make it purtty. It never ends.

Cans of spray paint are <$6. Go for the blackout treatment that Grinner is or body color match some interior pieces. Remember prep is paramont! Lil roughing up and paint. Look at the link that I provided for the plastic diamond plate vinyl.

SOOON I am going to redoing my headliner. Since I dont have a sunroof, I need to find the old overhead projectors to blow up a rams head. Get some 1/4 foam and make a raised portion of the headliner (like you see alot of flame headliners). The hole thing should cost under $60 for headliner($35), foam ($5) and a buttload of headliner glue($20). I just saw today on Horsepower TV (SPIKE) that they did a flame headliner and it was easy as heck. What I probably will do, just thought about it, will get everything ready except for the glue part and take it to the stereo shop that I frequent. Let them use the good glue.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
DTW

Very cool Magnums Grinner! I was wondering if you could tell me how you did your headlight covers? I just bought a Magnum R/T and want to start doing some modifications right away.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran

DTW- i think he used some vinyle. I did the same mod to the lights and that what i did and it came out very nice. Look at the post -Pic of my ride.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
grinner
All Star

I painted the eyelids. I just makes according to the body line (with the assemblies still on the car), sanded em with 400 grit (not easy to do just after paying $650 for SXT headlights , primed em then sprayed em. I eneded up running an eith inch vinyle pinstrip along the edge where it was masked just to clean the edge up.
jamie, for your first mod, I suggest the superchips flashpaq. It will getcha hooked on mods enough to keep doin em and won't brake the bank.
Also, think about cutting a port in your stock intake airbox and porting it to the grille. Costs nothing and adds a meaner sound. May even a little hp but honeslty, I have sen no performance increases with any cold air intake so far. They look cool though and they sound awesome. A cool one would almost eat all of that 300 bucks you have to spend so I'd port it for now. Also, ditch your suitcase on the exhaust system. This otta cost ya all of 30 bucks at the muffler shop down the street. Again, this helps with the muscle sound and once they cut that thing off, they will laugh wondering why it was put on your car.
Tint your front windows. Do it now. 20% matches the back tint well. 35% is legal in most states. I went with what looks the best.
Shave it. Spend a sunday morning ditching all emblems, badges and side moldings. Makes a world of difference. It costs only a couple of blisters.
That otta keep you busy for a while. Keeps it in budget too.
have fun, man.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
kowalcs
Professional

Moved my gas cap to the other hole on the fuel door yesterday. Guess you could say that my car is modded now! Ha ha. Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
DTW

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll go get some vinyl and go that route. Also, did you get the chrome strips for the bumper from your local dealer? My dealer charges $95 a piece for them which I think is a little much. The only other thing I found on the web so far is the thin cheap mirror like strips.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:32 AM
SemiHemi
Rookie

Theres a guy on ebay selling chrome strips. But to me it looks like thin moulding that you can buy at any parts place for $20 for 16-18 foot. You can even use the thin black moulding if you have a dark car. With the chrome strips the trick would to be cut the ends at a reverse angle. Another thing I just thought of is to go to a vinyl shop and get chrome vinyl or even the silver reflective.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:05 PM
dropkick

to shave badges,
i heard you can just use fishing line...is that true? will you leave behind any kind of residue or anything like that?

Grinner,
i would love to get a bunch of pictures showing us each mod...

has anyone seen black rims on a black magnum yet? im with grinner about going the blacked out route and am wondering how black rims would look...pictures dont show the true look of a car to me

Old 03-25-2006, 05:39 PM
SemiHemi
Rookie

Pretty much any way of removing the moulding/emblems will leave some goop behind. I just pulled up on mine and there was about 50/50 goop. There are some that use hairdriers to soften the glue then pull. The only thing is that you have to be careful not to get the paint too hot, this will soften it up too and might even pull it up with the glue. People have used Acetone, Goo Gone, I used "adhesive remover" from a car paint shop and even just taken their thumbs and roll the goop back onto itself. The thumb method is slow and blisterful. I removed the moulding from a Ram truck I had when I was like 30-40 degrees out and it was almost completly free of tape. Its like using ice to remove gum from a rug, it hardens it up.

As for the black on black, take a look around the gallery, I think there are 2 that have gone the blakout look.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:28 PM
grinner
All Star

black on black is the only way to go. Looks too great not to do it. I am leaning toward black foose nitrous but I want 22X11s in the back. They could be widened but I want the outside lip to be 6 inches. Still shopping options.
here is my buddy's black on black magnum:
http://grinnerhester.com/headlights.html

today's mods we on the front end. Nancy inspired me to tackle some front end mods by givin me a lil nudge with her car.

and she wanted a SRT-lookin rear fascia.

just neds some scuffin and some sprayin

I'm gonna paint that indention around the pipes black like the SRTs and of course she needs bigger tips.
I was planning to shave my crossbars anyway and already had some grilles waiting, custom-fabbed by 65standard.

I tore into it this morning. It's gonna look cool. I will have the grilles powder coated black when the body work is done.

They are just sittin in there unmounted in the pics but it's gonna be a mean lookin front end when done.

Quick Reply: moddin on a budget