Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Anyone Done This? Can it be Done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Mike K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Done This? Can it be Done?

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have any immediate intention of doing this. But, curious minds want to know!!

Has anyone removed the engine cover on the Hemi? Can it be done? When you open the hood on the Magnum, the cover is there, and not much else. On a Hot Rod, you see this quite often. But, on a "muscle car"? I guess I go back several decades as a Mopar guy. Learned to drive on a 56 Desoto (HEMI) and moved to the family 63 Dodge, then the 65 Dodge, then the 69 Charger (mine) the the last Mopar I bought new, 73 Charger. Given the history, I guess I want to see an engine when I open the hood. Really, I guess I want to "see" the Hemi when I open the hood.

I've seen nice engine covers and I've read the thread on the customization, but being new I have not yet seen anyone with the cover removed.

Honestly, this is just a question, not a plan

Mike

Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
HemiNuts
Professional
Default RE: Anyone Done This? Can it be Done?

I have removed and drove my car several days with no problems. However the cover protects all the wires and vacum hoses. I purchased a carbon fiber cover. It looks nicer then the stock cover. On the 5.7 Hemi the engine cover hides every thing. The engine without the cover is not very attractive. Now the 6.1 Hemi cover is different. There is a cover over the Heads. The intake is open. I think it looks nice that way, but I have not seen it on a 5.7. I have not seen under the 6.1 Hemi covers, I'm not sure if the posts that hold up the covers is located the same.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Mike K,
Just lift up at the four corners and the sucker pops right off! Once off, you will see why it is there in the first place. Snaps right back on, you just have to align the Plastic Inserts perfect for it to snap back. The 6.1 Liter Hemi looks sweet under the hood! My Challenger will have the 6.1 or possibly the rumored 6.5...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10346/DA9A24F9D1874D78966DE42C18CC202C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
HemiNuts
Professional

I'm with you Magnum R/T, the Challenger is SWEET! I think I may trade in the Magnum for the Challenger!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Mike K

Hey Guys

Thanks for the response. Since I've had the Magnum for a total of 4 days, I had to wonder. The cover looks trivial, but if all the plumbing is there, that sure answers my question as to why! I'm sure over time someone will re-plumb and make it look "purty" -- it's just the evolution of car nuts! I really like the Challenger prototype and I may do the same, if the actual car is close!

Thanks again, guys!

Mike

Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 AM
65standard
All Star

i removed my engine cover.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13006/597D083538A64FE59392022D4D1AE9D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Mike K

So, that's the difference between the 5.7, which I have and the 6.1, which I don't. Well, it's all good, right?

Mike

Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 AM
HemiNuts
Professional

65Standard when I look at the photo of your engine I can see 6.1 covers on each side. The pictures I have seen of several 6.1 Hemi's
engines have the side covers. Can they be removed, or do they protect the engition system? Does the stock 6.1 come with a full engine cover? I personally like the two side covers. It would look killer to see an all chrome intake manifold with the two side covers.

Mike K, as far as your question to what's the difference between the two? Go test drive a 6.1. That tells it all!!!!