Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

RT Mods and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:11 AM
phantom505
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT Mods and Maintenance

I needed a 3rd vehicle and it was either a 300C or the Magnum RT. I chose the Magnum in the end. So far I've been very happy with my choice. I don't think I would be as eager to mod the 300C for some reason.

I have modded a '02 Pontiac GAGT to death.... turbo, bullet proof tranny (I did a lot of prototyping) and that project will continue, meanwhile I wanted to do some work on the Magnum. Bolt ons, if they exsist, or if they need some vehicles for testing locally I can work on that.

Anyway.... here's the things I wanted to discus:

1) Oil 5W-20? WTF? Is there a synthetic out there with that weight? I've never seen it before. Anyone know the effects of using say 5W-30?
2) Oil Filter Suggestions? I've always used K&N in the past, expensive but they seem to be the best I've used personally.
3) CAI. The engine sounds like it's starving for air at about 5000 RPM or so. I'm willing to work with whoever about getting one made. If so desired, I can bring company called Domestic Performance into the picture and they'll make us some. Meanwhile, is there a better breathing drop in such as K&N?
4) Is there anything out there for the truck we might be able to use? Headers, etc?
5) Does the exhaust really need doing on this car until you get some other work done? It appears to be a true dual 2.25" which is about the same as a 3" single.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:33 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional
Default RE: RT Mods and Maintenance

Congrats on your purchase!

1) I am using Amsoil 5W20 Synthetic. It is one of the best synthetics around (IMHO).
2) I used a standard filter but would love to use the K&N version on my next change. I agree they are expensive but worth it.
3) See my post elsewhere on the air intake under development by 360degree.
4) I'm not sure about that one but I image that with the same power plant the only issues would be space/configuration issues.
5) I did the exhaust only because of the rather whimpy sound of the factory set-up. I am sure more benefit will be derived from combining the exhaust mods with more flow on the intake side. I have a lengthy thread on this elsewhere but the setup is somewhat less than a "true dual" considering the use of the "suitcase" muffler for both tubes prior to the final mufflers.

I am interested in hearing how others weigh in on these issues.

Enjoy!

Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 PM
phantom505
Professional

Yeah, I saw the posts on the exhaust and CAI. I just wanted to address some of the most obvious issues right away. It sounds like we could seriously benefit by redoing the intake and exhaust side. I didn't really get a chance to crawl underneath and see what's under there.

But if I understand right we have a downpipe connected to a cat, connected to a muffler, connected to resonators at the end?!?!? How horribly restrictive!! And when you were under the car on the lift did you get a good look at what I assume are manifolds?

I'm going to try to take a long look at the intake and see what we can do to open it up some.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:48 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I thought the same thing. You really would have to work to get more restrictive than that. I think that the work on both intake and exhaust will really unleash some potential. I didn't look at the manifold closely other than to note where the cats were (the cats are on the downpipes). I can tell you though that the combined weight of the mufflers (suitcase and finals) was nearly 50 lbs! That alone is worth a little power (and should not upset the 49/51 weight balance too much considering their placement). Once I get my intake in, I will dyno the car and share the results with everyone.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:01 AM
rcktpwrd

I know Kooks makes headers for the HEMI Ram's very nice looking stuff too!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:38 PM
phantom505
Professional

Thier stuff looks good, but it doesn't come cheap... However they do have flanges for the HEMI!!!! I might be able to swing $125 for a pair.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:52 PM
rcktpwrd

yes, they aren't cheap, but it is high quality stuff and you usually get what you pay for, especially with headers...

Old 06-21-2004, 01:59 AM
phantom505
Professional

I don't think the ones from the truck will fit anyway. It would be best to start with the flanges and build them back using the same rough design. I got under the car and it pretty much fits the chasis so it not likely that they will fit right off the truck.

The stupid little Xover needs help. I don't think meeting the two tubes in an almost "X" pattern is ideal. Then it looks like it's re-equalized in the gigantic muffler.

I think by gutting the exhaust and the crappy intake we would drop 50-75lbs right there, not to mention the pick up in performance. 400HP at the crank should be really easy to hit.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:58 AM
ddakota

Mobil One now makes a 0-20w oil specifically for that require 5-30w oil. Check out the website below.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_0W-20.asp

Old 07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

As far as synthetic oil, will AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil work?
This is the specs from the Amsoil site.

Meets or exceeds the following specifications for domestic and foreign gasoline engines:

API SL, CI-4, CF
ACEA A3, B3, B4
BMW LL-01/98
Daimler Chrysler 229.1, 229.3, 229.5
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025
Porsche
Volvo
Saab
Volkswagen 501.01, 502.00, 503.00, 505.00, 506.00

Quick Reply: RT Mods and Maintenance