Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

ESP/BAS Light on dash! Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
kellygirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CardenD
kelly,

I'm going through the same issues. The dealer has no clue what the steering column module is. Does anyon ehappen to have the part number available?

-D

ps..........I wouldn't let them touch it, if they don't even know what it is? as per the prior post to mine about the gold plating, sounds like something you don't want to mess with

good luck,
kelly

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CardenD
kelly,

. The dealer has no clue what the steering column module is.

-D

LOL...unreal. This is a Chrysler dealer???

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM
kellygirl

Ok same issue happening, the ESP/BAS light has returned and comes and goes. Now today driving home, the wipers came on by themselves and would not turn off, even when I turned the car off. The only way to get them off was to take the fuse out. Now would this be related to the esp/bas steering column issue? or would you think this could be different problem?

thanks
Kelly

Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
chet_magnum

i am having this problem now too.

05 Magnum R/T w / 69k miles

i notice when the light comes on, the vehicle doesn't start right away. i have to turn it over for about 4 to 8 seconds (est).

all services are up to date (60k completed early summer)

-chet

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
cpmgrp
Default Maybe time to lobby for a recall

I suspect that those of us on this forum are the tip of the iceberg. I note we have a real Dodge tech - can you tell us what the recall procedures are? There are too many of us with the same problem for it to be an isolated incident.
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 AM
kellygirl

Well I have the same problem. I asked my dealership, if they see this problem a lot, they said yes............not necessarily on dodge/chryslers? please who else would bring their car to a chrysler/dodge dealership.

I also called Chrysler Canada, explained the situation. She explained to me that recalls are based on info from the dealerships. I wonder how many it takes to notify them before a recall is made. I told Chrysler about these forum and how many thousand of people are on them, complaining about the same issue, I told her there were pages and pages. She came back with well people could write anything.........I said I am sure people are gonna waste their time trying to figure out what is going on with their cars, by writing fake information.

After explaining my issues she called my dealership asked them if they could offer any assistance to me of course they said NO, she then gave me a claim number and if I fix the issues at hand, she welcomes me to send my claim, she said she does not welcome all unless she thinks they may consider it.? I will be on the phone with Chrysler AGAIN today because this part STeering Column Module which oddly enough is BACK ORDERED I WONDER WHY????? demand for this part maybe, well due to the faulty part I have no windshield wipers, ya that is not a great situation when it rains, or when we are heading into the winter season in Canada, ya I am pretty much screwed.

CALL CHRYSLER CANADA explain your problem, everyone needs to do this.
1-800-465-2001

If you have this problem, let them hear you. Trust me I will never buy another Chrysler/Dodge vehicle again, if they do not take care of this. This is my 5th vehicle through this dealership as well, and they will do jack ****!!!!

ahhhhh a little vent,

Kelly

Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmgrp
I suspect that those of us on this forum are the tip of the iceberg. I note we have a real Dodge tech - can you tell us what the recall procedures are? There are too many of us with the same problem for it to be an isolated incident.
Thanks!
WHAT RECALL ARE YOU REFERRING TO? To my knowledge there is no recall on any part of the steering column on a 300, Charger or Magnum.

And Kellygirl, your problem is a dealer problem not a Chrysler problem. I'm sorry for your luck. Let me explain how parts go on backorder these days. The vendors are requiring the automakers (not just Chrysler) to order a certain amount of items and pay up front due to the past bankruptsy. Heck even crankshaft sensors for 2001-2004 Grand Cherokees were on BO back last month. All kinds of parts are on B/O right now.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
cpmgrp
Default Recalls

There have been several recalls of Chrysler autos that match our problem closely, none however for the Magnums (though other Magnum problems have been addressed). I called two local dealerships, including one that advertises on this page, and spoke with the service manager at each. "Why, no, haven't heard of anything like that. Why don't you bring the car in and let us put it on the computer for diagnosis."

I cannot believe with the number of complaints on this and other forums for the exact same problem, that these guys didn't immediately recognize the problem. One did mention something about "it MIGHT be a computer module." WWhen i mentioned a response I'd seen about a $580 module that had been replaced without fixing the problem - he got very vague and defaulted back to "You'll have to bring it in."

I love my Magnum, but this sucks.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
cpmgrp
Default Recap and more unsuccessful fix attempts

I've checked some other threads, seems Chrysler products and some others (Mercedes) having same or similar problems. I read about the "key dance" tried that - no code diagnosed. This makes me believe that the problem could be fixed with a reset.

If you want to try it: sit in car with doors closed. Without starting turn key quickly to on, then ACC, then ON, then ACC - you should keep your eyes on the odometer when doing this, when you see several dashes, a code or the word "done" will show up. If there is a code, jot it down. If "done" (which is what I get), I assume there's no problem detected. I'm not a mechanic, but this was one procedure that was recommended.

Another suggested holding odometer reset button while turning key on and off (not starting). This is for the associated gas gauge problem - though the gauges did a self test, it did not fix the problem.

One thread suggested removing the negative battery cable for a minute or so, then reconnecting. My '05 R/T has front/rear batteries (because of towing package or stock?) - if this will solve the problem and reset these lights, should I disconnect both batteries simultaneously (with a bud obviously - my arms aren't that long)?

Someone also mentioned pulling fuse #11, though that was shot down by another member.

I did pull a lot of the fuses today (front/rear) to ensure none were blown - none were and none were removed for more than a few seconds.

It is possible (can't remember exact timing), that a connector was damaged/pulled when a friend swapped stock tires for new ones using a hydraulic hand jack? Wheels/Tires are stock - as is driver ;<)

Should I pull the battery cables? Any other reset ideas? This is driving me nutz and I really can't afford a long, drawn-out dealership hassle. If I could afford that, I'd just trade it and suck up the new payments. But I'm on Social Security and a VA pension and can't swing it right now.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 AM
kellygirl

My problem is my car, thats the bottom line. And apparently thats the same prob lots of people have, thats the point here.

Quick Reply: ESP/BAS Light on dash! Please Help!!!!