Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

R/T top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:08 PM
fullauto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T top speed?

I haven't opened my R/T Magnum up yet... but I was reading on a Dodge website that it's "estimated top speed" was 126 MPH. Now, call me crazy, but I've had mine up to 90 or so and it was by no means running out of steam. Do they have some computer restriction in place that will shut the fuel off over 125 or something?

Tim

Old 07-16-2004, 05:13 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: R/T top speed?

Chrysler and Dodge had announced before production that the LX HEMI cars had a top speed of 153mph. However when the insurance compaines heard that, the rates for these car were going to through the roof, so Chrysler Group added a computer governor that limits the cars w/ a top speed of 128mph!

redriderbob

Old 07-16-2004, 05:15 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

Well, I was on a test drive last week....as I was clearing the on ramp and moving
to the fast lane, I was at 105 mph. Not a peep from the salesman.

Needless to say, my Magnum is on order!

Old 07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
fullauto

I assume when chips are available this restriction will be a thing of the past... Does Hypertech have anything out yet?

Tim

Old 07-16-2004, 05:23 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, those insurance companies are a pain!!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 05:56 PM
shiltz
Captain

actualy the governor isn't because of insurance, it's because of safety, the only tires they could get for the magnum/300 in the US that were 225/60 R18 are only rated for 129mph, the european models are higher because they can get 149mph rated tires for the car there.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

See this post. No word yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed and will post any information when I have it.

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=49177

Nick

Old 07-16-2004, 07:38 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I took mine out on a deserted stretch of road and, using the auto-stick, hit 110 in 3rd gear with it still pulling strong. I had to back off of it because I was running out of road! I told a friend who was visiting the next weekend and he thought that I had lost my mind. He was sure it would shift before reaching that speed. So I took him out we did it again. He is now a Magnum convert and ordered one earlier this week.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:31 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chip companies are good for reprogramming fuel/ignition curves and I know the GM guys can tune away the engine rpm limiter and speed governor. I doubt very much if anybody is going to chip out the limiter on the HEMI, it is not done in the engine controller where the chip guys go to "tune". The 300c and Magnum have very elaborate ABS/Trac control systems that I'm pretty sure they are not letting the aftermarket have access to, this is where all the tire information is stored.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:18 AM
phantom505
Professional

Pardon me, but isn't the speed controled by cutting off the fuel? What does that have to do with the traction control system? I find it hard to believe they would actually put the brakes on at that speed. I would think that would lead to way too much liability.

Quick Reply: R/T top speed?