Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New owner - Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 PM
ldickie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - Few questions

Hey all. First off, I'd like to say thanks for all your posts on a variety of topics. I've been searching and reading for the past couple days in preperation for my upcoming purchase and have used much of what I read to determine exactly what I want, and now I'm ready.

That being said, I'm buying a Silver 05 R/T w/18k miles RWD with all the goodies (ex. rear seat Entertainment system and tow package). I won't get the car for a week or two, so I was hoping to get some of my questions answered before I actually pick up the car.

First off, Because this car has 18k miles (it's bone stock) what are some of the "first things to check" once I get the car at home, in the driveway. Are there any immediate concerns that I should have checked out?

2ndly, Is the 'auto level' ride only on the cars equiped with the tow package? This car does not come with the tow package, but I may be hauling some heavier things. So it may be a concern.

3rdly, The Navigation system; I've read MULTIPLE threads about the DVD's you have to use when using the GPS and issues regarding updated copies etc... Because this is a used car, it may or may not come with said DVD's. So If it doesn't, where is the best place to get a the DVD? Also, is there any 'software' that gets loaded or 'updated' on the NAV system itself? or does the entire system run directly off the disk?
If the later is true, can one listen to a music CD at the same time they are using the NAV system? (as you can tell, I haven't looked at the system yet nor read the manual, so if it's all in there, please let me know and I'll just look there).

Lastly (but I'm sure there will be more), I've never kept any car 'stock', so what are the best/easiest upgrades for permormance and mileage that I can do to my RT that will not void any sort of warranty or cause any long term damage to my car.

That's probably it for now. I appreaciate any info you guys can give!

Thanks

p.s. I will post pics once I get the car home!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
just like flyin
Default RE: New owner - Few questions

Well hello there, I can answer a couple of your questions, although the temp plates are still on my 06awd r/t hemi. The disc for the nave system goes behind a panel and is only taken out when an updated disc is required. I'm thinking that your disc is probibly gonn a last a while. It has nothing to do with the cd unit in the radio-different slots. READ THE BOOK. I also ordered the cold air intake model 67 something and the superchip tuner. I then laid out a distance on a local highway between a 1/8 and 1/4 mile with signs for reference and on a rolling take off stock, it would do 60mph. CAI and superchip install and the same distance 72 mph. A freind of mine is a dodge tech certified for all including viper and prowler and he tells me that the ONLY exhaust to use is Borla. He said I have overfed my hemi and will be AMAZED at what a little noise will give it. He also told me that since I am planning on supercharging after warranty, I am also installing ceramic coated shorties in the front to help later on. I hope that you enjoy your new ride HALF as much as I like mine. Hope thata helps.
Just like flyin
Bob

Old 11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
MagnumForce
Rookie

My dodge tech says from the CATs back is Ok for warranty as is cold air "intake" I got a K/N unit and just went with Blastin Bobs 5DB pipes as I want to be able to drive and talk hands free. the aftermarket exhuasts can get loud The car is fast right out of the box..The more mods, the harder for dealer or other techs to fix it..

But feel free to knock yourself out theres alot of aftermarket stuff

Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
ldickie

Thanks guys for the info.

I will probably drive it for a while and see how it feels, then at some point get new exhaust and Intake and see if it makes a differnce.
Some say it does, some say it doesn't. I really just want a tougher sound from the exhaust and hopefully find a way to better the mileage at the same time. So hopefully the combo of intake and exhaust will help with both.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Superchips Flashpaq is the best bang for the dollar. $300-400 and its plug and play. If yours is an early production, you may have to get your dealer to upgrade the ECM and PCM software to work properly. Mine is an 04 production date and it took them some mild complaining and 3 trips before they would update it without a problem. I finally told them my ESP and BAC lites flashed on and off occasionally (lied) to get them to do it. I have heard that they will for about $80 if they dont have any apparent problems in your car. Feels like it got 100 more hp now. Some have gotten gas milage increases too, but mine seems about the same. I have the factory tow hitch without the larger radiator (ive heard all Hemis have it anyway) and I have no problem towing a car trailer with a car on it. On the Nav, I prefer my own portable unit so I can transfer it from car to car and to my plane in a minute. A good one costs from $400-700 as opposed to the $3k factory one. On my exhaust, all i did was replace the rear resonators with plain tail pipe to get a little more rumble at a low cost. Good luck and have fun.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
ldickie

Here she is...

Had to take pics this morning before work in my parking ramp. Will try to take some 'good' pictures one of these days.

Quick Reply: New owner - Few questions