Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

Transmission leak wont stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
dehler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak wont stop

1969 Dodge Dart (440)
727 transmission
Could some one please Help me on this issue im having with a leak between my transmission and my tail shaft housing. Im new to this and I have a leak between the tail shaft housing and my transmission that I cannot get to stop. I pulled off the tail shaft, cleaned it up, cleaned the transmission and put in a new gasket and the leak slowly came back. I was told to put RTV on the gasket and that should help, has any one every went through this.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you also having vibration issues?
I would clean the whole surrounding area with a degreaser or brake clean and dry thoroughly. Try to pinpoint the leak and mark it on the case and extension housing.
Next time you have it apart inspect closely for signs of a crack near your mark. Check the mating surfaces for flatness issues with a good straight edge. Check the bolts and holes to verify the bolts don't bottom out before they can clamp the extension housing. A thin layer of RTV both sides of the gasket and maybe also on the bolts shouldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak wont stop