Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Strut & Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:19 PM
lblackneon
|
Champion
Default Strut & Suspension Question

I was thinking about getting a Eibach suspension kit and some struts. I was wondering what were some good struts around. I heard KYB makes some horrible struts. I heard it's so bad its painful to ride in. What are some good struts around. If I get a suspension kit, it would be probably be the Eibach suspension kit because I heard good things about them.
What's your input on the Eibach sus. kit?

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:35 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: Strut & Suspension Question

I've read from other sites that Tokico makes some good struts, especially for those who are intending to lower their car. As for the Eibachs, which one are you looking at? Pro kit or the sportlines? I love my eibachs, it gave me the drop I wanted, but I don't really have to worry about scraping the front bumper all up going out of parking lots unless the incline is pretty severe (and then you have to worry if you're on stock springs). But depending on how many miles you have on your struts you'll probably be okay with stock struts for awhile.

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:54 PM
red91RT
Veteran

are we talking about 1st gen or second gen , lblack?

I have KYB struts and Eibach pro kit and very much like the ride. Yes, definitely harsher than stock, but very livable and handles well.

Before I bought the Eibachs though I experimented with cutting a quarter off my stock coils. I kept it cool while cutting so I didn't anneal the metal and I took from the top in the front and the bottom in the rear so I didn't get into the radius'd part of the coil. I was still unhappy with the ride though. Just that much was enough to stiffen it, and it made noise because it doesn't quite put the end of the coil in the right position in the front. IE: you'd have to cut 360 degrees off so that the radius part and the top part are both lined up in correct position. so. . . I bought the Eibachs. No shame in trying.

Old 09-09-2004 | 10:18 PM
lblackneon
|
Champion

I was looking at the Pro kit.

Old 09-09-2004 | 10:37 PM
red91RT
Veteran

I was asking about which gen neon mostly because I was thinking perhaps the KYB's struts are a little rougher by design for 2nd gen over 1st gen? I don't have much complaint about my KYB struts. A little stiffer (better) than stock.

Old 09-09-2004 | 11:16 PM
verhagem

1st generation vs. 2nd generation is going to be a major factor in choosing a strut. There aren't a whole lot of options for performance struts for first generation Neons. Most unfortunately, Tokico doesn't make struts for 1st generation Neons. Your options are really limited to OEM struts (least preferable), KYB struts (only slightly better than stock), and KONI struts (far and away the best option). The KONI struts are adjustable and also happen to be the same struts used on the ACR Neons. www.modernperformance.com sells both the KYB and KONI struts in sets of 4. The KONI struts are roughly 3x as expensive, but well worth the money from what I've gathered. I fully intend on purchasing a set of KONI struts and the Eibach Pro-Kit for my '98 Neon as soon as the funds become available.

Old 09-10-2004 | 01:19 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: verhagem

1st generation vs. 2nd generation is going to be a major factor in choosing a strut. There aren't a whole lot of options for performance struts for first generation Neons. Most unfortunately, Tokico doesn't make struts for 1st generation Neons. Your options are really limited to OEM struts (least preferable), KYB struts (only slightly better than stock), and KONI struts (far and away the best option). The KONI struts are adjustable and also happen to be the same struts used on the ACR Neons. www.modernperformance.com sells both the KYB and KONI struts in sets of 4. The KONI struts are roughly 3x as expensive, but well worth the money from what I've gathered. I fully intend on purchasing a set of KONI struts and the Eibach Pro-Kit for my '98 Neon as soon as the funds become available.
I second that. That is exactlly what I am planning to do as soon as I start my new job.

Old 09-10-2004 | 02:35 AM
verhagem

Another good place to shop for suspension:

www.shox.com

Old 09-10-2004 | 03:45 PM
lblackneon
|
Champion

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon.

Old 09-10-2004 | 03:48 PM
lblackneon
|
Champion

I just looked and I didn't see any KONI struts under modern performance for the 2000 Neon.

Quick Reply: Strut & Suspension Question