Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004 | 10:29 AM
rs97ap
Default RE: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

Thanks rcs426. Now I understand! I checked all the fuses - they are all fine. When I turn the key to ON position - all lights come on for 3-5 secs but not CEL. It never did since I have this car. It's a 97 neon and I bought it in 2000.
Do you know if there is any quicker way to check/replace that bulb?

Old 09-18-2004 | 09:08 AM
rcs426
Rookie

no theirs no quicker way of changing the bulb! although its not that hard. strange thing with my past exp.with pre obd cars if thecel didnt work the car would run on preset and not perform vary well obd 2 must be differant . i know that the cel light is a very important part to complete the link to the ecm/bcm mybee someone removed the bulb prior to your buying the car. anyway let us know what you find

Old 09-18-2004 | 12:53 PM
NYG
Veteran

Here is a common issue with Neon that I race against - there is a wire that runs between the Exhaust Manifold and over the Tranny that seems to short out after a while - There are 2 Neons that I race against that had that issue where the car would jerk and then shut off on the track. Most of the time once they were towed back to the Paddock - the car would start back up and seem to run fine. The wire basically dry rotts and becomes brittle - then starts shorting out. I now start to make sure there is tape covering the wire to keep it from shorting out during a race.

NYG

Old 09-24-2004 | 03:12 AM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

I'm currently having the same problem. I'm not sure what is wrong, but sometimes it starts with no problem. Other times, it fights me. It's get jerky, stall at lights. It seems to be idling really low when the engine's warmed up. I'm following this post, and I appreciate the help as well guys!

Old 09-24-2004 | 05:27 AM
casper
Legend

Fix the CEL and ring out the codes, its the only thing to do other than bringing it to a dealer or someone with a compiter and haveing them plug it in to get the codes.

Old 09-24-2004 | 08:13 PM
rs97ap

I checked the wires and all look ok. Funny thing is - last week I filled up and put a can of Fuel Injector cleaner and there was no problem for almost 470 KMs. This week I filled up again without any additives - same problem around 180 KM - car stopped while I was slowing down to red light. But as I started - it started right up. I don't have the time right now to change my CEL bulb - probably I'll get a code reader (I found a digital one for about $35).
But I'm getting a feeling that the fuel injectors might have gone bad or built dirt in it.
Hey NeoAngelo, can you check what code you are getting from your Check Engine light? Please post....

Old 09-24-2004 | 11:44 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Make sure that coder reader is OBD II otherwise, it won't work.

Old 09-25-2004 | 05:26 AM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

To be honest, if you'd step me through it I would. I'm still learning engine and electronics. I know most of the common things, but I don't know how to check my Engine codes. Let me know how, and I'll get to it.

Old 09-25-2004 | 01:54 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS

1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean to turn the engine on.

2. Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual codes. For example, flash-flash-flash [pause] flash-flash represents the code 32.

A code of "55" represents end of error codes. If this is all you get then no error codes are stored in the computer. This is the normal condition for a neon.
CODE Description of Trouble Code
11 Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking
12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
13 No change in MAP from start to run
14 MAP sensor voltage too low
15 No vehicle speed sensor signal
17 Closed loop temp not reached or engine cold too long
21 02s sensor problem (oxygen sensor), upstream or down stream
22 Engine coolant temp sensor out of range
23 Intake air temp sensor out of range
24 Throttle Position sensor out of range
25 Idle air control motor circuits, target idle not reached (+/- 200),vacuum leak found
27 Injector control circuit
31 Evap purge flow monitor failure or evap solenoid circuit
32 EGR system failure
33 A/C clutch relay circuit
34 Speed control Solenoid circuits
35 Rad Fan control relay circuit
37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure
41 Generator field not switching properly
42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles
43 Multiple/ single cylinder misfire
44 Battery temp sensor volts out of range
46 Charging system voltage too low
51 Fuel system lean
52 Fuel system rich
53 Internal control failure
54 No Cam signal at PCM
55 End of error messages (If you get this only, no errors were found)
62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored
63 PCM Failure EEPROM write denied
64 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Failure
65 Power steering switch failure

Old 09-25-2004 | 11:29 PM
sushi423
Veteran

i'll have to try that

Quick Reply: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly