Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004 | 11:06 PM
rs97ap
Default 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

Hey Guys,
Really need help! Mine is a 97 Neon with 164K kms. A few weeks ago problem started when the car started to give a shake/jerk while driving, then engine started to shut off at signal lights until it died completely. I found out that the Fuel Pump was gone so I replaced it. I also replaced Timing Belt and water pump at the same time.
After this - it ran smoothly for a while. Then it started to give jerks again. Funny thing is - it doesn't follow any pattern. It might give 2-3 jerks one day then absolutely nothing happens for the next few days. Since last week - it started to shut off at signal lights or as I'm slowing down. When I try to start - it starts right away. Once again - no specific patterns.
I showed it to my mechanic just to get a second opinion. Even though it's giving the same symptoms as it did when the fuel pump failed - the mechanic thinks it has nothing to do with fuel pump this time. According to him - if it were the fuel pump - the car wouldn't have started back again.
I just cannot understand what could possibly go wrong. I put brand new Fuel Pump just to avoid any circumstances from rebuild ones.
Also, this evening when I tried to start the car - it cranked a little longer than usual time - then it started. I turned it off - tried to re-start - NO PROBLEM! Turned it off again and restarted - no problem.

Any ideas??? I'm getting completely confused!

Also, I cannot get the PCM codes as the "Service" light does not lit. Can anyone tell me how to fix that? Is there any bulb I need to replace? Or need to fix something in PCM box?

Old 09-14-2004 | 11:45 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

On the fuel pump- could be you got a bad one, doubt it. On the check engine, there is a bulb, your gonna have to pull the cluster, it should be a common bulb, I don't know personally. If your check engine light in broken you could be throwing numerous codes and not know it. I would fix the light and ring the codes, or put it on a computer and find out whats goin on. A general tune up might help, plugs, wires, air filter. Try the check engine light 1st though.

Old 09-15-2004 | 03:02 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

First, remove the dash bezel. Then there are 4 torx bits holding the cover on the guage pod. I forget what size they are. Remove them. Then pull out the whole assembly and on the back of it there will be a 194 bulb (I beleive) for the CEL.

And I'm going to guess your Manifold Absolute Preussure sensor (MAP) sensor is bad or going bad. You may also want to check you Idle Air Control (IAC) and Throttle Position Sesors (TPS). MAP sensor will make it run like crap and could cause it to stall out. IAC will do the same thing if the plunger is not making a good seal. And if the TPS is going bad it could also cause jerks and rough idle.

Also are you an sutomatic transmission or a manual? Because the jerks and stalling could also stem from an issue with the tranny. Especially if it's an ATX that is in need of service.

Old 09-15-2004 | 12:27 PM
rs97ap

Hi,
I've already done the tune-up. Changed spark plugs and air filter. I will change the bulb and see what codes it throw.
By the way Crazy Squee, mine has automatic transmission.

Old 09-15-2004 | 04:23 PM
casper
Legend

The check engine light is you best bet, it will give you a good amount of info on whats goin on.

Old 09-15-2004 | 11:47 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

ORIGINAL: rs97ap

Hi,
I've already done the tune-up. Changed spark plugs and air filter. I will change the bulb and see what codes it throw.
By the way Crazy Squee, mine has automatic transmission.
The jerking and stalling could be a result of the transmission as well. If it is low on fluid or needs adjustment it will cause the car to stall out.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level lately?

Old 09-16-2004 | 10:24 AM
rcs426
Rookie

simaler problem with my 98' . first of all get back to the basics, if the cel dosn't work ck. fuse first dont pull apert dash bulb rearley burns out. turn the key on cel lite should come on for about 3-5 seconds if it comes on go to next step.no problem with communacation.if the fuse is blown check for shorted power supply to ecm/bcm. the problem that pleged my neon wast intermitted stall or stumble for months of testing this and that .speed sensor cam & crank sensor all related. all recive 8 volt refrance from ecm . about 800.00 later still stall whenever opened wire harnace at the back of cyclinder head at the tee and i found the gremlin white wire with black tracer beared would touch cyc.head and short out and cause stumble /stall. 0.00 dollars to fix just time the wire the was shrted was the 8 volt refrance to speed/ crk/ cam/ sensors !!! cars been fine for three weeks

Old 09-16-2004 | 06:16 PM
rs97ap

Transmission seems to be fine - so is the transmission fluid level. I thought it could've been caused by fuel injector so I put 1 can of fuel injector cleaner. I don't know whether these add-ons really work but I haven't had any problem for the last 3 days. Let's see what happens in the long run.
Thanks rcs426 for your advice. I was ready to pull out my dash . I checked the fuse box that is beside steering wheel. But I haven't checked under the hood yet.
So, if all the fuses are good - that could mean the check engine bulb is not working - right?
By the way - you wrote "opened wire harnace at the back of cyclinder head at the tee and i found the gremlin white wire with black tracer beared would touch cyc.head" - I can't understand what part you are talking about. Could you explain please???

Old 09-16-2004 | 06:42 PM
Darthness

wut the fuel pump was physically GONE?!

Old 09-17-2004 | 12:31 AM
rcs426
Rookie

first of all does cel come one with just the key turn to on pos. 3-5 sec? the tee i'm speaking about is not a part its where all the wires meet an tee off to other parts off the engine it under the air tube going to the air filter box. you might have to remove air tube to find it. locate where all the wires join and slight ly press toward engine. maybe slightly wiggle against engine i'll check witch fuses to check and post witch # fuses they are

Quick Reply: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly