Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:26 PM
sauceboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley

so i've got an unorthodox racing underdrive pulley coming in the mail tomorrow, and i was wondering: do i need any special tools to swap this? i was thinking there was a thread before that said you need some special something, but that was forever ago, and now i can't seem to find the thread.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: underdrive pulley

Here is a link that should help you. And you'll have to let me know how the install and how it runs afterwards, I'm looking to get one of those. I see its not the same one you have, but it should give you an idea of what you need to do it.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:05 PM
sauceboy
Professional

hmmm... this looks like it should do the trick. i probably won't be able to get it swapped out until this weekend, but i will definately post as soon as i can.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
96_neon_sedan

In short, you will need a special tool, and it can be rented for free from Autozone.

There are posts on here that suggest a slide hammer will work. Well I hammered away at the thing for 30 mins and it did not budge a single millemeter.

I then preceeded to snap a regular 2-ton and 5-ton 3 jaw puller, taking a gouge out of my thumb from a chunk of flying broken metal in the process. Make no mistake that buggar is on there tight!

The special tool is called a "Chrysler/Mitsubishi Harmonic ballancer puller". It is made for the job, built like a sherman tank and will get the job done. It has a special insert so you will not knacker your crank threads, and it has a hex welded to the body of the tool that you can use to keep the pulley steady while you tighten the puller.

Wear eye protection just in case!

Good luck,
Dave

Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 AM
LoNeWuLf
Record Breaker

Im tryin to get my friends MPx UDP from him... my mechanic and I are gonna do it... he says its not that hard and he knows how to do it.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Yeah its not that hard you just need this tool: "Chrysler/Mitsubishi Harmonic ballancer puller". once you have that its easy as pie.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:45 AM
casper
Legend

I don't really see the point in an UDP. you gain 1-2 HP, lose power steering power, alternator power. Short of an all out 1/4 mile car, I can't see it.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

You really don't lose that much power they really should just be called ultralight pulleys cause you gain more from them being lighter then from them being smaller.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:05 AM
casper
Legend

yeah but you only gain 1-2hp and get a cooler looking pulley.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:24 PM
sauceboy
Professional

okay, so i've been out of town for a while, but i finally got a chance to swap out my underdrive pully. here's the deal, though. i got the harmonic balancer puller. it's the same idea as the steering wheel puller i used on my old ranger way back in the day, so i know how it's supposed to work. my problem is my underdrive pulley, the stock one, doesn't have the threaded holes in it which would be necessary for the puller to work. did i get the wrong puller?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley