Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004 | 01:13 PM
GroundControl
|
Veteran
Default high flow cat

does anyone know where i can get a high flow catalytic converter? How much hp will it add? And Will it make my after market exhaust louder?

Old 10-11-2004 | 02:02 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: high flow cat

You can find one at Modern Performance and Howell Automotive. I heard from numerous people that it wont really help the performance. You wont be able to tell a difference. I don't think you will hear alot of change in the sound.

Old 10-11-2004 | 04:29 PM
casper
Legend

I have seen cat-eliminators on Ebay for like $60 with shipping. If you want a true high flow cat, modern or howell is better, however unless yours is bad don't expect any benifit, without other serious mods done to the car.

Old 10-12-2004 | 02:08 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Even if you have mods done to your car, I heard the hi-flow wont do very much. I have a Pacesetter header and exhaust. I also have an AEM cold air intake with an AFX Underdrive pulley. I still haven't put my ACCEL 19lb fuel injectors on. Do you think it will help me?
I just heard they aren't worth it. People who work at Midas and other people said, "A cat is a cat."

You will probably have to change a sensor for the computer if you change the cat converter.

Old 10-12-2004 | 02:32 PM
GroundControl
|
Veteran

would i be better off getting a header? and if i got an intake manifold would i have to get a bigger throttle body and fuel injectors?

Old 10-12-2004 | 05:49 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I think the best thing to start off with is an intake then a header. You wont get as much out of a mod if you don't have a header.
If you get a manifold, you don't need to get new injectors or a new TB. It will help your performance though.

Old 10-12-2004 | 06:00 PM
casper
Legend

the high flow cat won't do that much the 1st mods should be CAI, good exhuast, cam.

Old 10-12-2004 | 06:13 PM
GroundControl
|
Veteran

i have a cold air and a cat back. so will a header help alout?

Old 10-12-2004 | 11:58 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yes, a header will help.

Old 10-13-2004 | 11:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

ORIGINAL: casper

I have seen cat-eliminators on Ebay for like $60 with shipping. If you want a true high flow cat, modern or howell is better, however unless yours is bad don't expect any benifit, without other serious mods done to the car.
NOOOO!!!!!!!!! DO NOT REMOVE OR REPLACE THE CAT WITH A STRAIGHT PIPE!!!! This will cause you to lose all of your backpressure and will make your car a slugish turd. A high flow cat is fine, but no cat will slow you down big time. A friend of mine did this to his Neon powered Eclipse and with over $1,000 in a CAI, ignition, header, no cat and big high flow exhaust he ended up slower than a stock Eclipse. Your best bet is a CAI, header, cat-back or simply a high flow muffler since the Neons mid-pipe is already optimally sized, MSD plug wires, upgraded PCM and motor mount inserts. If your looking for more power you could get larger injectors, Indy intake manifold and a larger throttle body. If that isn't enough then you can look into getting a Crane cam and perhaps the Indy ported and polished head. If you go this far then you would be OK and actually benefit from replacing the cat with a straight pipe.

It is all a balance between volume and velocity and by eliminating the cat early on you gain volume, but you kill the velocity which is what the 2.0 needs to wind up faster and build power quicker. After you throw enough mods at it then it will need the added volume which will benefit both the volume and velocity at that point.

Quick Reply: high flow cat