Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

WTF??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:11 PM
elric62285
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF??????

I just swapped my engine. I'll never do it again, at least not on a Neon. I ordered a '95 SOHC, dropped it in a moved on to the electrical. Almost every sensor had diferent prongs. My harness takes round prongs but the new engine only offered bladed prongs. I had to use the old camshaft sensor but I broke the top mounting holes. I just did the bottoms and ran her just to make sure she would work. I drove 1/4 mile and she started to smoke horrifically. I freak and pop the hood back at the house, the silver coating on the pacesetter headers is burning off, producing clouds of toxic smoke, but the I see oil all over my tranny, I didn't realize that oil would leak out of my cam shaft if the sensor wasn't on all the way. I checked the diagnostics and got 12 & 55 so I hope thats the only problem. Oh and a neon running straight out of the headers is the ****, if a little noisy[sm=smiley36.gif]. If I put on the cam sensor from the new engine but don't connect it what would happen? a new one is $50, for that tiny peice of plastic. I want to make sure that it wouldn't hurt my new engine. If I can't do that what would ya'll suggest to get the harness and sensor to match?it's that blades vs rounds prong thing keeping the two from matching.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:49 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: WTF??????

Get a wiring diagram and cut and solder the correct plug onto the wires.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:07 PM
elric62285
Professional

holy jesus, a little invovled don't you think, besides I don't know where to get the correct plug

Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Junk yard.

And next time before you start a project like that it's usually a good idea to ask questions about whats involved. I would've told you the sensors for teh 95 were going to be different.

Running without the cam shaft sensor is a bad thing as well.

There is a magnet on the sensor that indexes the correct position of the cam, without it you could or most likely run into timing issues down the rroad. The camshaft position sensor also acts as a thrust plate to control camshaft endplay on a SOHC. Meaning without the sensor in there your cam could rock back and fourth in the head and you could eventually run into so me serious mechanical issues.

I'd suggest on getting the correct sensor for the engine and the harness that you have and install it.

And also you are going to want the correct computer for the harness as well. If you haven't already got it.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:11 PM
casper
Legend

you don't have any on the old plugs from the old motor?

Old 11-01-2004, 11:53 PM
elric62285
Professional

I kept the same computer harness. It's a '95 and so was the new engine so I didn't think it would be any different. When I realised the new sensor and the old harness wouldn't work I pulled the old sensor of the original engine but broke of the corners. When I drove it oil started to seep out of the camshaft. Everything else during the swap went fine, I just can't find this one plug and I'd prefer not to go to a junk yard. They're all kinda far away I was wondering if I could get one from the auto parts store.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

They weren't the same. One was probably a newer version of the other.

I believe in late 95 early 96 they changed a lot of things.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:06 AM
casper
Legend

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only options I see that you have is to goto a junkyard and get the correct wiring harness for the car or much simply take the plugs from the old harness and solder them onto the new. I have read the thread a few times, maybe i am missing somethin, but it seems much easier to solder a few wires than to replace a entire harness, that is if everything else is correct.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:07 AM
elric62285
Professional

They must have changed a lot- it felt like every bolt, every connection was different somehow. She pulled harder than I thought she would though. I do wish I'd gotten a metal intake manifold though, so I could have it polished

Old 11-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

I have to side with Casper on this one. It'll be much easier for you to take the correct connectors and solder them onto the harness you've already got.