Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Snow tires really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:14 PM
LowSlowNeon
|
Grand Champion
Default Snow tires really worth it?

Okay, so I live right near the great lakes. We get tons of snow here...probably some of the heaviest amounts of snow in the country. Will snow tires really help me out a lot more, I'm lowered so I would imagine so. I'm considering just takin the stock pieces of **** off my 15" rims and getting some. But I think I'll wait until the first snow hits and see how she handles it. What do you all think that have winter tires. They really that much better/worth it than all season tires in the snow?

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:18 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Snow tires really worth it?

I am going to run my Falkens this year. But last year I had Bridgestone Potenzas, they were not that bad. Both tires were all-season.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:21 PM
LowSlowNeon
|
Grand Champion

I'm just a little bit scared about trying to get my car moving when the snow gets 3 inches or deeper because that is about how much clearance i have. I spin the tires in the rain quite frequently just trying to get the car moving, and that is not even hammering the gas, that is like 1500rpm take off.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:33 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

I run Bliizaks on my stock RT Bubble Rally wheels (14") and on the PT rims I run Potenzas but this spring I hope to upgrade to teh Fuzions.

IMO, snow tires are far superior to all seasons. I'd get the snow tires.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:36 PM
LowSlowNeon
|
Grand Champion

I drove the neon with these tires last year and it was fine (but my tires had less than 1000 miles on them). But I had close to 6 inches of ground clearance, now I have approx. 3 inches. We had so much snow at one point the snow was hitting the underside of my car. I'm going to be a snow plow this year.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:37 PM
casper
Legend

Snows will help, but if the snow is higher than your bumper/body kit, your driving a plow not a neon and no tires are gonna be good enough.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:41 PM
LowSlowNeon
|
Grand Champion

No body kit here...stock body. I realize that, which is why I am considering getting them. It only happened a time or two last year where it was hitting the underside of the car.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:50 PM
casper
Legend

yeah for me its not worth it for snows. 1- It has not snowed that much here in the past few years, 2- they plow pretty good, 3- I don't drive if I don't have to and when I do its not my driving I worry about its the idiot in a rear wheel drive mustang thats right up my a**.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:54 PM
LowSlowNeon
|
Grand Champion

I don't worry about my driving either...but I drive extremely defensively in the winter. I've had people sping 360 degrees right in front of me...I've seen some scary **** happen right before me and have been able to avoid it. It usually snows here every day from christmas til about the end of february. They plow pretty decent...but sometimes it snows so hard that they can't keep up with it, which is when i really try to keep my car but sometimes I can't avoid it. I work and go to school so I have to drive when I don't want to sometimes.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:57 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

ORIGINAL: casper

yeah for me its not worth it for snows. 1- It has not snowed that much here in the past few years, 2- they plow pretty good, 3- I don't drive if I don't have to and when I do its not my driving I worry about its the idiot in a rear wheel drive mustang thats right up my a**.
Wish I could say the same.

It snowed yesterday. I woke up this morning to 6".

Quick Reply: Snow tires really worth it?