Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:42 AM
2004sxt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage

I've seen threads about this before and I started wondering... how many MPG was I getting in my 04' Neon? So I finally investigated and after I filled up I wrote down how many gallons it took to fill er' up and then I wrote down how many miles I got out of each gallon by doing some simple arithmatic... According to my findings I am for some reason getting very ****ty gas mileage I'm affraid. It gets me about 200 miles before the gas gauge reaches the red area. I've heard of people on here getting an average of about 260+ miles per full tank with their new & old neons. It's brand new so I know that it can't be the pressure in the tires... and I just got an oil change so I know that all the fluids and everything are good to go... I just don't know why I'm only getting 200 miles out of a full tank. According to the owner's manual it's got about a 12 gallon tank and should get around 22 mpg (city) and 26 (hwy) which should be (on average) between 264 & 312+ miles. Another thing that bothers me is I don't drive like a bat outta' hell. I'm a very courtious, kind... and more importantly slow driver. I never put the pedal to the metal, I barely rev the engine into the 3000 rpm range whenever I accelerate (even when entering the highway) Any suggestions or thoughts as to why I'm getting such poor mileage, or maybe it's normal to be getting only 200 miles per full tank with a new neon? I'm lost.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:34 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: Mileage

I can't tell you why either. I've heard of others having the same problem. I have an 04 and my gas mileage is not very constant...but I would blame that problem on me. I got a heavy foot a lot of the time[sm=smiley15.gif], but I always get anywhere between 240 and around 280 before the gas light even comes on. Mine gets crazy good gas mileage on the highway when I use cruise control. If you get your oil changed at the dealer I'd mention something about it and have them take a look at it.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
SXTNNY
Captain

Ya, I have an '03 SXT and I'm having the same problem. I'm really dissapointed in the gas milage I'm getting. It sounds like you and I are posting about the same numbers too. Last time I was at the Dodge dealer I told them. Their response was, "ya, sounds about right. We can't find anything wrong. Sometimes the Neon varies." So WTF?! They "vary"? Some BS excuse. I still think SOMETHING is wrong. I mean one reason I bought the Neon was I THOUGHT I'd get a bit better milage then I did with my 2001 Grand Am V6. Well, so much for that theory.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Yeah I get those numbers too and the majority of my driving is city, but when I am on the freeway I do get good mileage like around 28 to 30 miles to the gallon. But city, it can vary but my tank mileage the light comes on from 200 to 230.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:36 PM
SXTNNY
Captain

ORIGINAL: techmanbd

Yeah I get those numbers too and the majority of my driving is city, but when I am on the freeway I do get good mileage like around 28 to 30 miles to the gallon. But city, it can vary but my tank mileage the light comes on from 200 to 230.

What do you cruise at on the highway. I average about 75 MPH with the cruise on. I just took a 140 mile trip (70 one way) lst week. Filled her up at the start, and again at the end. Posted 23 MPG. I'm not happy with that. I can see no reason for the ****ty numbers.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:09 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Man there is something wrong with your cars. I drive like a bat outta hell 50% of the time and I have no problem whatsoever hitting at least 240 miles before the gas light comes on. Maybe you have to drive it hard to get good mileage? LOL I don't know. Or maybe mine is weird like that? I have been putting 93 octane in mine because it does seem to like it and I noticed an increase in mileage.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:18 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

What do you cruise at on the highway. I average about 75 MPH with the cruise on. I just took a 140 mile trip (70 one way) lst week. Filled her up at the start, and again at the end. Posted 23 MPG. I'm not happy with that. I can see no reason for the ****ty numbers.
DAMN, that does suck. Because I cruise about 80. I went a place that was about 70 miles away. Filled up before and when I got back I had about 140 and I was at 1/2 tank. Is your 03 still under warranty? I would say take it back and have them look at it. Maybe one of the 02 sensors are bad, and even though you are not getting any codes doesn't mean they can be bad. It is electronics and anything can happen or maybe the computer has something wrong and not crucnhing the numbers correctly. Who knows. Like I said electronics, anything can happen. And just because there aren't any codes, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I don't blame you, I would NOT be happy at all as well.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:19 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: NeonSXT04

Man there is something wrong with your cars. I drive like a bat outta hell 50% of the time and I have no problem whatsoever hitting at least 240 miles before the gas light comes on. Maybe you have to drive it hard to get good mileage? LOL I don't know. Or maybe mine is weird like that? I have been putting 93 octane in mine because it does seem to like it and I noticed an increase in mileage.
On good days in the city I get a litte better, but here there are so many freakin stop lights and I seem to hit everyone everymorning.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

When I'm on the highway using cruise I get over 30mpg...I usually set it at around 78-79mph. Its amazing how good of mileage the car gets when you keep your foot out of it. Could be plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter....lot of things it could be. I would make them check it out...they'll probably tell you "yeah we checked it out, didn't see anything wrong with it" or a "we hooked our computer up to it and it didn't throw any codes", thats about the time I would tell them, you better look harder because a little 2 liter engine making minimal power better get better than 20mpg. I mean hell...even the tranny is geared for gas mileage. So don't listen to the bull**** they'll try to feed you at the dealer...stand your ground.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
SXTNNY
Captain

I'm gonna have to. It's freaking stupid the crappy milage I'm getting. I was thinking electronics. Been around enough to know that route. I am still under warranty. Christ I only have 11K on her. Bought it brand new in Feb this year, so I'll have to getthem to check it out a bit more.

So, on that note, what plugs/wires do we all use?

Quick Reply: Mileage