Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Racing Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 AM
jayster05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Oil??

When I was in Auto Zone last night I noticed that Penzoil (I think) had an oil that said was for racing does any body know if this stuff is anybetter. I just figured it wasnt as thick as 10w-30 for less friction at high rpms. Also they sell a gas treatment called turbo or something thas supposed to give you added hp through your gas...has anybody tried this either.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker
Default RE: Racing Oil??

Turbo, never heard of it, but if they are claiming that it adds HP's, then it is probably an octane booster and I would avoid using it since really the car was set to use 87 octane

Old 12-02-2004, 01:03 PM
jayster05
Professional

Thats exactly what it was now that I think abt it and would it really hurt the car?

Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
GroundControl
Veteran

if your gunna run higher octaine id just go to sunoco and get some cam 2 -100 octain. im not sure if it will be bad for the engion but anyhting over 110 has lead in the gas. I bought cam 2 oil for my car i have it in now and it runs the same as any other oil.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

You can use Cam 2 100 octane fuel in the car however, do not fill the tank with it. Mix it with 93 or 94 octane as well.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

There is no "magic formula" oil or gas treatment available in a bottle or can. Check out all the lawsuits the government has brought against the oil companies that promote such products.....they are on the internet.

Commercial gasoline is required by the EPA to contain various additives. Buying 93 octane at a Chevron station won't increase your performance all that much unless you have a "knocking" or "pinging" problem. Chevron does put "Techron" in their gas which does a great job of keeping your valves clean....

Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

I hate OPEC and their lies. Texaco does the same thing with the aditives and Sunoco just plain rocks when it comes to race fuel and jet fuel. Too bad Colorado is lame and they closed the only Sunoco in Denver that carried 110 octane fuel.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:55 AM
ewetho
All Star

Some of the racing oils do not have the detergents and some of the additives you would normally see in passenger car motor oil.

If you are going to use it for very limited time such as a RACE it has some advantages and lessens the chance of problems such detonation from additive in oil. These are in extreme cases, but hey, what is racing for?

If you want the best oil you can buy you want a motor oils made with polyol ester base stocks. The only one I know who is still using them is REDLINE OIL. It is the admitted best base stocks money or science has produced. It is the only thing you can run a jet engine on and not have it coke(Burn) in the bearings after shutdown.

And Guess WHAT? They make race oils too. Not just passenger car oils.

I have used this oil in the past in several 3 and 4 cylinder cars and it can make a big difference in the engines smoothness and noise level.

Try for yourself. Available at Advance Auto Parts, Jegs, or Summit Racing.

But day to day if you don't run it too hard you friendly Dino Juice works pretty darn well.
Just remember to get GF-4 oil. Better quality oil as mandated by several manufacturers.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
GroundControl
Veteran

whats with the new shell clean as you go. is there like cleaner int he gas or sumting. does it work?

Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 AM
ewetho
All Star

Around here we now have V-Power like ALL premium fuels detergents are required.

However if you feel your injectors are dirty I always recommend Redline SL-1 Fuel Injector and Carb Cleaner. It is the only thing I have seen work. (OK not only) You can try MOPAR equivelant to GM top engine cleaner. Friend who worked at a DODGE dealership said that works great too.

Quick Reply: Racing Oil??