Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Car Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Problems

These are some car issues that I have. I was looking for some help from you all: A. My antenna shakes really hard at idle sometimes; like if I'm sitting at a light. B. The left side of my car is making a rubbing sound mostly when I accelerate, like something is rubbing against my tire. C. My car makes a screeching noise after it rains, when I start it up or when I accelerate for the first time for that day. I have 93.000 miles on my car.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Neonsxt
Professional
Default RE: Car Problems

dont know about 2 of them but the screetching sound probably means your belt needs to be replaced

Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie

I drive a 2000 Dodge Neon. What kind of belt are you talking about? Give me the actual name of the belt.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Mnementh

Your belts name is Harvey Johnson. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm no expert, but I think he's refering to the drive belt.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:16 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

There are 2 belts that need fairly frequent replacement. Both are on the passenger side of the engine, both dirven by a single pulley that's attached to the crankshaft. The inner one (closest to the engine) is the alternator belt. The outer one is the accessory belt that drives the air conditioning compressor and power steering pump. Quality belts run $15 or less for each. Installation isn't remarkable difficult, but you may want to at least get a Hayne's or Chilton's manual if you aren't familiar with basic mechanics (it's just turning wrenches...). Don't know how much labor would be at a shop, my guess is somewhere in the $40-60 range.

Rubbing sound? Sort of a grinding sound maybe? First, make sure there isn't actually something rubbing against the tire... Extremely worn brakes might be the culprit, although the squealing from the metal feeler tabs would probably clue you in looong before that... My first hunch would be a worn wheel bearing. If you go to a shop for this, you will get raped... Figure $80 for the bearing (their cost), they'll probably try to talk you into a new spindle to go with it for another $150, just to be safe... and then another $250 for labor. Firestone gave me a quote of just over $450. I laughed, went to the junkyard, picked up a whole spindle for $45 (with a 90-day warranty), installed it in an afternoon, and went back to Firestone to finish the alignment... PRobably a step or two above "novice mechanic", but it really wasn't all that hard.

Shaking antenna. Try tightening it? Dunno. My antenna shakes, but my suspension is a bit stiffer than most.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie

I'd like to thank you all for your help.

Quick Reply: Car Problems