Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

F***in oil, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
ewetho
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F***in oil, help please.

If not on the ground and not seen in the engine compartment dye won't help. Dye is normally used to find a leak that is hard to determine because of too much oil around. If all is cleand then you are consuming it in the engine and most manufacturers say that 1qt/1000miles is normal. So if you are just above that then you may not be buring enough at a time to tell. Just old and worn probably. Hard accel is an issue that if puffing then would be a dead giveaway but you should then see oil residue build up in the pipe.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:42 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

The oil pressure sending unit is another possible leak point that is on the backside of the engine against the firewall and it's hard to see.
I checked that because I thought it might be because I had just put the one from Autometer from when I put in my oil pressure gauge

ORIGINAL: morningpride

I would think that if you are loosing that much oil, you would see it.......

or smell it......

Are you sure there's no oil on the back of the engine???
Yes I'm sure, this is what people don't get I'VE CHECKED THERE A MILLION TIMES!!!

ORIGINAL: ewetho

If not on the ground and not seen in the engine compartment dye won't help. Dye is normally used to find a leak that is hard to determine because of too much oil around.
I know that I had bought the dye a while ago

Old 05-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Hate Puppet

Ok, Chud. Start with the obvious.

Have you done a compression test? If so what were your numbers like?

Your compression should not be any less than 100psi and not vary any more than 25% either way from cylinder to cylinder. If your compression is good then it's probably not piston rings. If any of your cylinder's compression is off more than 25% I'd wager that you've got one or more bad piston rings. While you are doing the compression test check teh spark plug tubes. If there's oil in there your spark plug tube seals are probably bad, have them replaced.

Next, if the oil is sneaking past your valves then check your PCV valve, if it's stuck open or not functioning at all then the oil is getting into your intake and being burned there. Which, to me that sounds a bit more like what is happening to you. A new PCV runs a few bucks and should be replaced, don't waste your time with cleaning it. A bad PCV valve can result in burned piston rings among other things.

The easiest way to check to see if you have the updated headgasket is to look between intake runner one and two, you should see a tab sticking out between the head and the block, if the tab is there the head gasket has been done. If not, then I'd suggest doing it. nd to whom said that most Neon HG leaks occur near or above the alternator that is also incorrect. Most of the time when you blow an HG the oil leaks on the driver's side rear corner (towards the fire-wall) of the head.

I'd suggest cleaning the engine as best as you can. If there is any caked or old oil you will never find the leak. Once it's clean you can see where the leak is coming from easier than if there is old oil on it.

If you changed your cam shaft position sensor the oil can possibly leak from there, but generally not in the amounts you are talking so I'd have to say it is not that, but anything is possible. And the same pretty much goes for the oil pressure sensor unless it's about off the block. I'd suggest cleaning the area around both the cam shaft position sensor and the oil pressure sensor and then trying to tighten them up. Did you use teflon tape on the oil pressure sensor? If not odds of it leaking are pretty good.

Chud, I also could have sworn you joined another forum. If so perhaps you could ask over there as well for some advice.

-Nomad

Quick Reply: F***in oil, help please.