Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

HOT TOPIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT TOPIC

This will be the only time I will ask, but I have a friend in fabrication, casting, and into custom piping that wants to make a twin turbo manifold for the DODGE Neons and wants a little input on it from all of you to see if its possible and If wether we want to take it to flint to get tested or not at the engineering acadamy. We are also testing FOIL bearing turbos to go along w/ it. However we have a heat issue w/ the foil design at starts and stops, well not actually we...him, I dont really know about the whole engineering involved I just looked up the design and gave him the idea. Now I know twin turbo apps have been done on the Integra 4 cyl. but if you all can think of making it work w/ a neon 2.0 we'd really like your input cuz we want to get some obnoxious horsepower outta them. Also we are looking into getting split exhaust housings on the turbo if the twin turbo app doesnt work out. Give me some input please! The designs are already going under patent.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:38 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: HOT TOPIC

Here are some foil bearing illustrations taken from NASA designed by GARRET turbo companies. These were strictly designed for constant use in manufacturing or industrial machines, however, we wanted to test out the possibilty of using them in automotive aftermark considering that the RPMS are off the charts w/ these.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15699/43C2BD6DAFD341B0BDFA8FE06010E40A.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15699/7FAB2B39A817407B858BD9BF9B450490.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15699/816A7D24438B4B688ABF6EEDDE0E9406.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: HOT TOPIC

So what type of twin turbo are we talking about - sequential or parallel? Based on what you're saying, it sounds like a parallel setup.

I don't see any advantage of running a twin application. A single Mitsubishi Super 20g has no trouble taking a 2.0L engine to 350+ HP. That's fully spooled by 3000 rpm... Even n/a, I don't go WOT below 3000 rpm, so the big draw of spooling up faster doesn't do it.

Downsides would be space, weight and tuning. And as far as making more power, Len Ayala's single turbo (Super 20g, forged internals, stock head and valvetrain, stock PCM) was making 500ish HP without nitrous, and his biggest complaint was traction - chirping and/or spinning down the track in all 5 gears, even with huge slicks under modified fenders...

Head to the Supra boards and talk to the guys that have swapped their twins for more powerful, more reliable, easier to deal with single turbo setups.

More options for turbo manifolds would alway be great. Being able to choose the flange would be nice. Most are currently going for $250-350 new, depending on who you go through. Designs range from log-style, to modified stock manifolds, to tubular designs with a collector.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: HOT TOPIC