Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Should I turn my rotors? Or just buy new ones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I turn my rotors? Or just buy new ones?

I'm going to put new brake pads on my car soon. Soon as I get them and as soon as I get new rotors or get them turned. So my question is do I just get them turned? Or should I buy new ones? I have about 22,000 miles on my car. Rotors look to be in a decent shape. I can see slight rings in the rotor from the pads, but pretty smooth. Should I just get them turned. I've called around and got a price of like 8 bucks a rotor to get them turned. I need some feedback...thanks.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I turn my rotors? Or just buy new ones?

Are you getting performance pads? If you're trying to maximize braking you'd be better of with performance rotors. But the new pads should be put on with a smooth rotor. So yes, you should probably turn the rotors just to clean them up.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Pads might be slightly better then stock. But nothing terribly better then stock. So I think the stock rotors will do.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, I'd probably have them cleaned up and smoothed out with a shallow cut. That way the two will wear together. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:22 AM
ewetho
All Star

New is always nice but as long as they meet specifications cutting the rotors is perfectly acceptable and well worth it if installing new pads. Remember to clean the hub around the wheel studs as well as the corosponding surface inside the rotor hat while off.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:50 AM
mechengineer201
Rookie

If it were me....I wouldnt - the less material you have, the easier it is to warp those puppies and with my experience with dodge rotors, they are throw aways - specs dont mean **** - most techs wont even turn them and not cus they wouldnt make more money, turning pays more than replacement but because they dont want that car to come back bitching about a brake pulsation that seems worse when they get on em? hmm those things get hot and flex all over, think about it...and how bad is the old rotor...whats the ridge look like? do you have any heat checks? glaze..? blueing...??

Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Theres a picture of my rotor, I don't know if you can tell what kind of shape its in, but I think they just need to be turned. My pads are here now, hopefully will put them on sunday long as I have my rotors turned by then or another set of rotors.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when working as a tech i would have recommended a rotor cut on that because of that rust ridge around the edge...rust on the rotor causes quicker wear at that point, and could cause some noise..

Old 05-27-2005, 09:59 PM
ewetho
All Star

I definitely second the motion as this can definetly be a source of noise due to slight tollerance differences of even the same brand of pad. If the are truley straight then you can also just sand them breaking any glaze or directional finnish off of them. Howver cuttig and then washing is usually best especially if the shop doing it has the on car brake lathes that cut the rotor true to rotational direction on the car (allowing and compensating for hub and rotor surface variations). They however do no look to bad overall. Just make sure to measure them with a rotor mic (Place to turn them should) and also verify the finish spec. Just a light cut if you can get away with it.

Quick Reply: Should I turn my rotors? Or just buy new ones?