Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
neon_leon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

jetas454ss check your map sensor those have a tendecy of doing that.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
JimmyKman

-Sounds similar to my problem: I have a 2000 Neon with a 2.0 and a three-speed automatic trans.The engineloses HP at load, either uphill, on the highway; or during hard accelleration. AC affects this, too. I found good fuel delivery (45PSI at full volume), and good compression, but low vacuum at idle, around 15 inches with the AC on (at idle) and 18 with the AC off. I can watch the vacuum gauge move up and down as I turn the AC on and off. I checked the timing and belt and put a new belt on, though it didn't need one and replaced the plugs but it did not help. I can't run this car up a any kind of grade without downshifting. -Anybody have an idea?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
neon_leon

my 96 neoncar did that but it also reved up high when ac was turned on I changed the tps sensor and the air intake sensor (both sensors on throttle body) and that solved all the problems.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
JimmyKman

Call off the search! Thanks, everyone, for your help. I will save all of the tips and advice for future reference. As it turns out, the problem was indeed low compression, as well as low vacuum. The compression checker was cheap/faulty and when we put a gtood one on, it was obvious; cylinders 1,3 and 4 cranked at 120-130PSI and #2 cranked at 110PSI. The previous owner had the wrong plugs installed. They were too long and the piston most have collided with it because there was no ceramic left; not burned, just completely missing. The debris must have gotten into the cylinder and rings and scored things up pretty bad. This 2.0 SOHC engine is toast. Unless anyone knows of a cheap fix, I can drive it around indefinitely, but it will always give me trouble on hard accelleration and uphill climbs.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
GettinStarted
Default Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

I have a 1995 Dodge neon.. I did not drive the car for 2 weeks because I needed to update the sticker on the car. Once I got in the car to drive it, it drove for about 1/2 a mil and gave out on me. I am not sure why, but it worked fine before those two weeks. I was told that it it the fuel pump, because gas was put in from the hood and it worked fine, and then shuts off after a period of time. I was told it was trash at first and that didnt help buying carburetor cleaner. I also changed the fuel filter yesterday and its still not craking up all the way. Boughta fuel pump relay and nothing. So I am going to buy a fuel pump but need to know how do i do it myself? A mechanic gave me a estimate for it for $600.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
manda521

I have had my 2000 neon for 4 years..i used to love it..i have put so much money into it..starter,rear main seal..waterpump,i have this sputtering in the front of my car ..now as of today my car will do ghostly things...alarm will go off ..whenever it wants..dome light stays on..and locks won't stop clicking...i hate this car and i need help

Old 10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
tdevil_75

manda521 I have the same problem as of today with my 2005 neon sxt... my car will do ghostly things...alarm will go off ..whenever it wants..dome light stays on..and locks won't stop clicking...
PLZ if anyone knows what causes this HELP!!!! I hate dealers and now i have to call them to try and get it fixed.[:@][:@]

Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM
manda521

All i have to say about the same probs ur having with your..i took it to a dealer they want 800 dollars to fix it they said it all electrical and my wires all all screwed up...they also said that my car could die at anytime cause the alarm system can lock the driveshaft and shut the carr down..i think we are screwed anyone have any ideas???

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
tdevil_75

WOW manda521 all i can say is i'm glad mine is still under warranty then it goes into the dealer tomarrow hope it is as simple as they say it will be they told me they would have it fixed in a couple of hours.[]

Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 PM
manda521

wow lucky u my car isn't under warranty what did they say was wrong with it,please let me know....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems