Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:05 PM
NonToxic
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake

which CAI do you think would be better cause im deciding which one i should buy...
iceman or K&N?

Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: intake

I'd be inclined to say that K&N would be my personal choice out of those two. Given another choice, I'd say AEM, but that's just me. Most of them are pretty close to the same thing, you're mainly just paying for the brand name.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Everyone seems to have their own opinion on this matter. I've had my K&N for a few months and I don't have a single complaint about it. Its awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Which year is your car? As far as aftermarket is concerned, the Iceman is the preference for 1st gens, and the AEM is the preference for 2nd gens. The Kirk and Rage for 1st gens are nice as well, but require battery relocation (no new battery tray provided like the Iceman). The other big favorite for 1st gens is the DIY "ghetto" 3.0L intake, which is nothing more than an intake tube from a Chrysler 3.0L from the late 90's (Caravan, for example), and strap your own filter and/or extension tube onto it. It also typically requires "massaging" of the stock battery location, but it can be done without touching the battery or tray - all for about $40, depending on what filter you go with (I prefer K&N)... The DIY has been dynoed against the Iceman on 1st gens, and the results are practically identical (within a HP through the entire band), until you get a seriously built, high revving motor - then the Iceman wins out.

The K&N for the 1st gen is a waste. Had it, collected data, compared with the DIY version, sold it (shipped to Iceland, actually...). It sucks air from the stock location, which is hot (right above the exhaust manifold). It does come with a heat shield (which the 1st gen AEM and ebay models do not), but it only does so much. Compared to the Iceman/DIY setup, temps can run 50F (with heat shield) to 80F (without heat shield) hotter on a nice day (low 70's, sea level, don't recall humidity...). And lower temps means more oxygen, which in turn means more power. The rule of thumb is 10 degrees is worth 1% added power...

Best of luck!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
casper
Legend

I have the iceman, I like it, I have never had a problem with it.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 PM
eb230029

Look into Injen's Cold air Intake!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

ORIGINAL: NonToxic

which CAI do you think would be better cause im deciding which one i should buy...
iceman or K&N?
AEM or Iceman is what I would used. Stay away from the Injen and the Ebay knockoffs which have bad filters.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

I have a K&N intake. I tend to steer clear of "ebay specials" becuase you just dont know what your buying. My intake has been very nice. I love the sound and added performance it adds to my car. Definate 2 thumbs up on it. As these guys said... its really just up to you on your intake.

Quick Reply: intake