Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

???about cai and stock intake???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
neonTuner101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???about cai and stock intake???

i was told that if i get a k&n stock air filter that it would be almost as good as a cold air intake.. atleast that way i know that the filter wont deteriorate and be sucked into my motor.. i want to make hp but dont want to have to deal with the fact that i might loose an engine in the process is there nething i can do.. i live in quebec so a lot of rain and stuff to deal with.. thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: ???about cai and stock intake???

A simple filter will not give you better HP than a CAI. Your still sucking in hot air forom the engin bay, and your air flow is still very restricted by the stock intake as it is. But to answer your question a simple filter will not increase the performance of your car at all. If you want real performance when you talk about your air intake you need to buy a CAI.

As far as rain goes if you do buy a CAI buy a bypass valve to prevent the water from getting into the motor.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
whyte69
Veteran

Rain itself isn't the issue. It's if you ever encounter LOTS of water, as in huge puddles. The size of the puddle would have to be one that in danger of eating your car. No offense highline, but I wouldn't even consider a bypass unless I got a short ram intake and it was raining lots. The location where a CAI sits should be well protected by the wheel guard and splash guard.

Yes, a K&N Filter offers better airflow than a stock paper filter will offer, but it won't give you better airflow than a CAI would.

If you do get a CAI, make sure that it's a true CAI and not a short ram.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:24 AM
neonTuner101

by the way thanks for the info i really apreciate it.. what kind of cai would you reccomend to get anything under 250cdn would be good... thanks

Old 01-20-2006, 03:30 AM
neonTuner101

also i want to buy an exhaust system doesnt have to be the nicest im trying to keep the sleeper look so i was wondering what i could get... a catback system would probably run around 600-1000$ im guessing but any suggestions would be good thanks...

Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 PM
whyte69
Veteran

head on over to howellautomotive for near everything you could ever want for your Neon.

I'm not sure what year Neon you have but I'll post links accordingly:

All prices are in Canadian dollars as of 8:15 General Mountain Time (Canada)

For a 1995-1999 non R/T CAI is available for $253.91

For a 2000-2005 non R/T a CAI is available for $225.18

I haven't decided which exhaust I'm getting for my car, I'm looking to build a sleeper as well. Whichever is the quietest is the one I'll go with. I wish I could hear some of these mufflers before I put it on my car. I don't want to get stuck with a muffler that I hate because it can't be returned. I don't mind if the muffler is a dual exit, I understand the optimal performance bit, I just don't want to hear the bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAHHHH. It's such an annoying sound and you don't know if you just got passed by a civic or a weed whacker.

Howell has a few mufflers that you can check out while you're looking at intakes. Let me know what you go with, or if you find anything new.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 PM
neonTuner101

i have a 95 sohc neon just to let you know and i know what u mean about the crap civic nation sound lol.. so anoying

Old 01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

As far as cheap goes when it come to CAI on the fisrst gen any 20 dollar CAI will work just as well as an AEM kit because on the first gen the CAI is gonna go towards the back of the engine bay unless you buy another battery box so It can go towards the front.

Now if you have the cash go ahead and get an Iceman CAI kit, it come with everything you need, even a battery box, and tends to be the best.

I asked the same question eariler about a stock looking exhaust kit and the best one if offered by Borla. Its not completly stock looking but its not a fart can and it sounds really nice. Almost like your driveing a real fast car lol.

Quick Reply: ???about cai and stock intake???