Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Access To Rear 6X9's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:23 AM
98Neon4Door
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Access To Rear 6X9's

I just got some new 6X9's for my neon and I was wondering how to get the carpet/padding off of the rear speakers so I can get to them to take them out. I can get the back of the carpet/padding up but the window limits me taking it out and I cant get to the front of it, is there any special trick or technique to getting that stuff up/off/out of the way so I can get my new speakers in. Thanks a ton.

Tom

Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Access To Rear 6X9's

It's not very difficult, but I don't know if the 2 door and the 4 door are the same or different(this is how it works for the 2 door models). First you need to grab hold of the rear bottom seat cushion at the front and pull straight up, don't worry your not going to hurt it. Then simply move it out of your way. Next your going to need a torx bit, I forget the exact size but I believe it's the T-55, to remove the 2 seat belt anchor/seat back bolts. You will need a breaker bar or an impact gun, they are in there and they don't want to come out. Then you lift up on the seat back to unhook it and then remove the package tray/carpeted part. Thats it. Good luck.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 AM
pimpin97neon
Rookie

I was just thought of something. I want to repalce those speakers as well and was wondering if i cut out the carpet over the speakers... would the face plate of the speakers i buy cover the edges up and hold the carpet in place around the speaker or do i have to find some other way to do it?

Old 05-05-2004, 03:54 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably do it that way, but it might have to be cut larger than the speakers covers to remove the original speakers and put in the new ones.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 06-16-2004, 12:25 AM
zynvktca

wait there is another way.....

i just replaced the rear speakers in my 03 neon. i used some polk audio db690's and its not as hard as it looks.

you dont need to remove the rear seat by unbolting the torqes bolts.

the frame that runs up the sides of the window? pull them off, they help hold the rear deck carpet in place.
pop them off then pull the plastic peices that surround the seat belts. and slide the seat belts out of the carpet. take a flat screw driver and pry between the rear headrests and the carpeted back peice. and pull it up. grab it with your hands and pull up. you will notice the clips poping. its ok your almost done. as soon as it is all loose pull it and fold it down over the rear seat. then you will have full access to the stock 6x9's. yes after you pull the stock speakers out you can put the carpet peice back in and then cut the speaker holes out form on top or inside the trunk. and the grills will cover without a problem. just make sure you cut the carpet slightly smaller than the actual speaker hole itself. good luck. e-mail me for photos of my new speakers in the rear.

yockeyserveradmin@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
ehorizon7

ORIGINAL: zynvktca

wait there is another way.....

i just replaced the rear speakers in my 03 neon. i used some polk audio db690's and its not as hard as it looks.

you dont need to remove the rear seat by unbolting the torqes bolts.

the frame that runs up the sides of the window? pull them off, they help hold the rear deck carpet in place.
pop them off then pull the plastic peices that surround the seat belts. and slide the seat belts out of the carpet. take a flat screw driver and pry between the rear headrests and the carpeted back peice. and pull it up. grab it with your hands and pull up. you will notice the clips poping. its ok your almost done. as soon as it is all loose pull it and fold it down over the rear seat. then you will have full access to the stock 6x9's. yes after you pull the stock speakers out you can put the carpet peice back in and then cut the speaker holes out form on top or inside the trunk. and the grills will cover without a problem. just make sure you cut the carpet slightly smaller than the actual speaker hole itself. good luck. e-mail me for photos of my new speakers in the rear.

yockeyserveradmin@sbcglobal.net
I was just wondering what year your Neon was and if it was 2 or 4 door. I am looking to also replace my stock 6X9s but wasn't sure how to gain access to them. Thanks for the tips so far hopefully they will work for me!

Quick Reply: Access To Rear 6X9's