Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

getting a neon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
esgirl74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a neon...

I really want a neon. I'm trying to pursuade my mom to let me get one instead of an suv. They are supposed to be great on gas, and good little cars. My dad calls them dispossable cars, but if I take care of it why shouldnt it last me? If anyone knows, how good are they in snow? For being a 2 wd vehicle? I've been looking for a great while now on one that I like, but the only ones I have been finding are sticks, and I cant drive stick haha. I was going to learn if I got one, because it was a great deal, until we found out it needed a new clutch and that would have cost about the same as the car to replace. So, if anyone has any tips on buying a neon, let me know I really dont care about the color much, but if I get a black one, thats a plus. I really want to deck it out and make it pink and black ^_^ My mom thinks I am crazy of course, but I really like cars that look spruced up with designs and stuff. -_- of course, my mom wouldn't understand. but yeah, any help buying would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: getting a neon...

ORIGINAL: esgirl74

I really want a neon. I'm trying to pursuade my mom to let me get one instead of an suv. They are supposed to be great on gas, and good little cars. My dad calls them dispossable cars, but if I take care of it why shouldnt it last me? If anyone knows, how good are they in snow? For being a 2 wd vehicle? I've been looking for a great while now on one that I like, but the only ones I have been finding are sticks, and I cant drive stick haha. I was going to learn if I got one, because it was a great deal, until we found out it needed a new clutch and that would have cost about the same as the car to replace. So, if anyone has any tips on buying a neon, let me know I really dont care about the color much, but if I get a black one, thats a plus. I really want to deck it out and make it pink and black ^_^ My mom thinks I am crazy of course, but I really like cars that look spruced up with designs and stuff. -_- of course, my mom wouldn't understand. but yeah, any help buying would be appreciated.
Well where to start...gas mileage wise, the Neon is pretty good, on an SXT/SE you'll get around 30mpg, with an R/T you'll get between 25-28. If you want better gas mileage you should get a manual, along with the better performance. There not bad in snow, about as good as any FWD sport compact in snow, but the only vehicle that performs "good" in snow is either 4wd or AWD...

Depending on which year you get, I would suggest the 2nd gen (00-05) just because you'll have fewer problems and be much more reliable. You should be able to find a well equipped, low mileage 00-01 for $5k or even less...you can find the 95-99 (1st gen) for dirt cheap almost anywhere, but their dirt cheap for a reason! There not horrible by any means, but i think the 2nd gen are better, especially for a new driver...

Old 07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT
Well where to start...gas mileage wise, the Neon is pretty good, on an SXT/SE you'll get around 30mpg, with an R/T you'll get between 25-28. If you want better gas mileage you should get a manual, along with the better performance. There not bad in snow, about as good as any FWD sport compact in snow, but the only vehicle that performs "good" in snow is either 4wd or AWD...

Depending on which year you get, I would suggest the 2nd gen (00-05) just because you'll have fewer problems and be much more reliable. You should be able to find a well equipped, low mileage 00-01 for $5k or even less...you can find the 95-99 (1st gen) for dirt cheap almost anywhere, but their dirt cheap for a reason! There not horrible by any means, but i think the 2nd gen are better, especially for a new driver...
My 97 highline with 287,000 miles gets 40mpg on the highway and 30-35 in the city. 1st gens got a bad wrap because of the headgasket, but if it has the MLS hg then you're good. I haven't worked on a 2nd gen, but the 1st gen is extremely easy to work on. Alot of 1st gen owners got one not even knowing how to change their oil, but now swap trannies, build 2.4 swaps and anything else you can think of. A great car to work and learn on, all the meanwhile getting good gas milage

Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the neons are throwaway cars...especially the first gens....almost any junk yard you go to will have a dozen of them....but that just makes the parts so much cheaper.....they last a long time if taken care of...almost every neon in the junk yards by me has almost 200,000 miles...

my first 98 r/t fully loaded was only 3400.00 back in 2001
the 98 r/t i have now cost 6200.00 a little over a year ago.....it was a little much but well worth it...

in my opinion...the first gens can be driven harder...i dont really trust anything newer then 2000....
134,000 extremely hard miles and still getting 30-35 mpg

dont worry about a stick if you want one of them....its easy...i didnt even sit behind the wheel of a stick until the day i got my first r/t....my mom test drove it....i just wanted to drive it home...and tought myself from there

Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Don't worry, most parents are like that espically mine. Tell you mom that if you get an SUV that you might flip while taking a turn and cars really don't roll.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
spudsterier
Legend

or remind her how much its gonna cost to fill it up....
from empty it takes 28.00 to fill up my neon...and if i drive it nicely i can get 300 miles on a full tank
from empt it takes 90.00 to fill up my durango....which can also get about 350 miles on a full tank

the durango usually just sits in the yard....its way to expensive to drive

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
esgirl74

its not the flipping of an suv that worrys me. I learned to drive in a jeep wrangler, and i currently am driving it till I get my own car. Its my moms. I dont really want to drive stick, or learn how at the moment, because the only car I have to learn on it is my dads truck and that has 6 speeds and is huge. (its a dodge...heh) Plus, I'm just really too lazy to be shifting the car...and I like to fiddle with the radio, way too much o.0 The car I am looking at looks really good, cept for the small hole in the drivers seat. But it doesnt bother me, because I have seat covers for it. All I know is that it is a 2003. I don't know which version it is...the site doesn't tell me. But I will know when I go look at it with my dad. But I am still confused Cause some of you love the first gens, and some the second gens...so it seems like both are good...

Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 AM
NeonX143

I like my first gen[&:] But I am also selling mine. I don't know how good in snow it is seeing as how I'm in Florida. But hey if you want; you can have mine for $2,600, and if you want to keep the rims on there, make it $2,700 lol

Nah it's all in the driver, it's just like any other car, some hate the new mustangs, some prefer the older muscle type cars, blah blah, and it depends on how much you take care of it. Also know about if you ever want to get rid of it, how much the value will go down; depending on what you do or don't do to it; etc.

But yes for a new driver, I might go with a newer model, probably with the sxt

Old 07-28-2006, 01:05 PM
esgirl74

I'm getting a neon ^_^ We went and checked it out last night, and the guy will give it to us for less than the original price I saw online. It's a 2003, and I am totally in love with it. I talked to my mom about it, and said that if I like it, and its a good car, that I can get it. I can't wait to have it

Old 07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
das2123
Legend

Congrats!!! I hope you don't plan on modding it any, engine wise or you will learn all about NGC.

Quick Reply: getting a neon...