Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 AM
fetus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

I have a 95 neon that has code 12, and 22 and it will not start. I don't think 12 or 22 have anything to do with the car not starting. Do I have a bad fuel pump mabey? Anyone please help me. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:51 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: Help Please

Your code 12 just means that at some point during the last 50 key on cycles, that the battery was dissconnected, your code 22 just means that your coolant temp sensor is going out of wack( so if your temp gauge needle goes nuts or just acts out of the ordinary then don't get worried easily replacable and costs $20) your car not starting could be a couple of things, a way to check to see if your fuel pump is still working is to listen for it to prime when you put in the key and turn ( furthest point without starting the car) a easier way to do that is to have someone put there ear up to the fuel door and listen for the noise, its kinda like a deep buzz, a lot of the time this will determine if you do or not, but I was informed not to long ago that there has been cases where even with the fuel pump test passing that the fuel pump could be bad. whens's the last time the car had a tune up, it could be a simple case of fowled plugs or bad wires, those are notorious for causing starting promblems and they are pretty basic and cheap to fix what else is the car doing? hope some of that was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 AM
fetus

ok thanks alot. I do hear the buzzing sound of the fuel pump. I have been told that it still could be the fuel pump. I will get some new sparkplugs and one of the sparkplug tube seals is leaking, should i get that fixed to. It's not leaking very much, i just clean it out about every 100 miles or so.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

might as well since your in the aream better to catch something while you can before it gets worse some people even change the valve cover gasket since there gona change the tube seals. you don't have to especiall if its no leaking but just a suggestion those are also is a very common problem among neons, changing the plugs and wires is a good start, hopefully that's all it is, if that doesn't seem to help then next try looking at the coil pack, if you have an ohm meter you could test the coil pack yourself and save some money instead of heading out and buying one, and if you don't have a neon repair manual then It would be a good Idea to invest in one, they save lots of time and money, hope some of that was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
fetus

thanks alot. i went to try to start it and it is not buzzing anymore. I will be goin 2 get a new fuel pump some time soon. And the coil pack is brand new less than 3000 miles on it. Same with sparkplug wires. Sparkplugs also but they seen to get fouled pretty quick. Also the oil starts turning black after only 5 minutes of running after oil change. I'm guessing pistion rings are gone and allowing excess carbon to get in the oil. Also if you have any tips on changing the fuel pump let me know (i have a 95)

Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

changing out the fuel pump is a snap believe it or not, first make sure the rear is hoisted up and you have some good room, from there you should start looking at the fuel lines around the tank and disconnecting them so the tank is freed up, sensors and stuff like that (not much to disconnect) , once you get under and look at it you will see what im talking about, the only prob you might run into is arm fatigue if you don't have any help, there are two straps that holds it up once you undo one strap you have to hold the tank up to get the other, this is where a good friend comes in or some type of object high enough to hold it in place ( I used a cinder block ) while you undo the other strap( the less fuel in the tank the easier it will be when its time to put the tank back on so drain all the fuel after all the connections to the tank be it fuel line or electrical)
after that its just a matter of taking the old one out and putting the new one in Hope some of that was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
fraggle_a
Professional

Quick tip here:

Make sure you have a pair of Vice Grips to crimp off the rubber part of the fuel lines, or your going to get very unhappy, very smelly and potentialy very flamable.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
fetus

Thanks Fuzz and fraggle for your input but for some reason its buzzing now and it starts up....kinda weird. Kinda a hard start at first but its runnin now. Next i need to do a transmission fluid change. I used the wrong kind of transmission fluid and tranny is acting up. How do I do a flush to get the fluid out, i should i just take it to a shop? And for the coolant temp sensor i unplugged it and plugged it back in a code went away.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Nice reminder Fraggle I was once stuck with that smell, good, glad to hear its running, but if your car acts up again like that then you know the colprit, it sounds like you might have a bad ground which would blow the fuel pump fuse everytime, or a possible short in the system, sometimes these things just come and go lol, you can do the tranny thing yourself but if you dont have the tools and time then you should leave it to the pros, I would just take it to them unless your confedent you wont do more harm, as for the sensor like I said before sometimes things just come and go but if that needle acts goofy you know what to do, its a 20 dollar fix. good luck and if you have any more questions just let us know, your a first gen so stopping by the first gen section would help you out a lot, tons of knowledge there and very helpfull people.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 AM
fraggle_a
Professional

Sounds interesting.

The buzzing... my guess, its the fuel pump priming and presurizing the fuel line. It should stop after a moment before you actualy ignite the engine. If it runs constantly......
Could there be a problem with the pressure?. Is there a pressure sencor, or is that all taken care of in the pump?.
Perhaps the fuel system needs a good cleaning?. Carb/Choke cleaner?

Yes, definatly check for a ground problem.
How?. Not sure, not done it in a car myself. But, Id guess putting a volt meter between the negative side of the car battery, and the frame?

My 02' starts a little hard right now too. (solutions anyone?)
Usualy takes 3 - 4 cranks before the engine fires up.
(by cranks i mean complete crank revolutions, not me getting frustrated and turning the key)
This Im putting down to the coils and oil perhaps. Me Geo and me saturn both started up with a single crank, after some tweeking by myself.