Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2003 SE what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
mikiozen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2003 SE what to do?

Hot, thats the reply i was looking for Squee, i have decided to buy it at the end of august. Now Squee do you know where i can start researching on autos? can you tell me what you did to your car?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
casper
Legend

I'm with you sxt04 I just like stick, it is more fun.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:06 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

There was a few reasons why I got the MTX. More fun like sxt04, the price of the car, and better gas mileage

Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

ORIGINAL: Altima_wb

Crazy Squee has a lot of good points but he forgot the biggest advantage of haveing an auto over a manual in a turbo vehicle. With a MTX you lose boost every time you shift so you have to build boost every time you shift. In an auto you never let of the gas so you continue to build boost when you shift. Hence why autos are the perfect choice for turbocharged projects. Also one question I have for all these ATX haters out there. If MTX are so good why do most drag cars have ATX?
Thanks. I thought that I mentioned that in there. But then again, I was pretty irratated so I may have forgotten about it.

Oh, and I never said ATX's are better than MTX's the both have their positives and negatives. To many, it's a personal preference as to which you like. But I get tired of hearing the same stereotypical "ATX's Suck cause they are slow." because for one, it's an ignorant statement and is based off of nothing.

mikiozen, a good place to start is here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm that goes over the basics. There are also a few transmission books "Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles: Theory, Operation, Diagnosis and Service" by Mathias F. Brejcha and Ronald Tuuri is one. Another is Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles by Thomas W. Birch. I can't tell which book is good because I've never read any of them. I've always learned by doing. If someone has told me it can't be done I prove to them it can. I was told building an ATX is impossible and hasn't been done and I proved to a lot of people it could be done. Many of those people have also told me that I'm insane because when my ATX is done I will be lucky if I can put it on the road.

So far, I've done a race valve body, a complete race rebuild with clutches, bands, a limited slip differential, transfer gears. The transmission is not done, I still need to get the torque converter 3K stall and some stuff still needs to be installed in it.

NeonSXT04, I knew I was missing something.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:08 AM
mikiozen

i was thinking intake/exhaust and a turbo.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

If you want a turbo then I'd avoid an intake and exhaust for the time being. Why? Because youa re going to spend a lot of money on both only to find they are not going to be compatable with a turbo. Especially an exhaust.

For a turbo you are going to want a 3" exhaust. 2 1/2" at the least.

I'd say go with a turbo. Save your money for a few months and pick one up.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:37 AM
mikiozen

so stockintake and exhaust will handle the turbo??

Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

No. That's not what I said.

What I was trying to convey was, don't waste your time spending money on things that you will have to change out to something that will be able to handle a turbo. A stock intake manifold will be able to support the turbo but the intake that you are planning on buying will have to be changed since the intake that goes on the turbo is different. A stock exhaust is too restrictive for a turbo. Therefore, if you buy a catback now you will have to remove it and replace it with something a little more free-flowing, hence why the majority of people going with a turbo on their neons they choose 3" piping for the exhaust.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:03 AM
mikiozen

so you are saying buy a turbo... have it sit for a while till i get enough money to get the intake and ex for it?

Old 08-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

No. I'm saying don't buy anythign exhaust wise or intake wise. Go ahead and buy the turbo, have it installed and while it's being installed you can fabricate a new intake for it for a few bucks. All you'd need to do is choose where you want the filter, get some tubing and run it to where you want it then stick the filter ont he end of it. Hell, you can probably built the intake out of scrap intercooler piping you'll probably have laying around.

And gernerally you'd of picked up the exhaust at or near the same time you grabbed the turbo kit. I'm trying to remember the site I am getting my exhaust from if I can remember it I'll toss you the link.

Quick Reply: 2003 SE what to do?