Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Headgasket Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004 | 06:02 PM
1998neon
|
Professional
Default Headgasket Q's

I've got a 1998 SOHC and it doesn't have the MLS headgasket. I already checked for the tab thing in between the intake runners. Is the headgasket covered under recall, or am I going to have to pay to have it replaced. I also think that the front struts are under recall. The car has less than 70000km, I don't know if that matters at all. Also when the headgasket is replaced, should the car be babied for a while, does it need to be broken in? If so for how long? TIA

Old 08-17-2004 | 06:12 PM
verhagem
Default RE: Headgasket Q's

Deleted by user.

Last edited by verhagem; 05-15-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2004 | 08:15 PM
b_s_d
Professional

ORIGINAL: 1998neon
I've got a 1998 SOHC and it doesn't have the MLS headgasket. I already checked for the tab thing in between the intake runners. Is the headgasket covered under recall, or am I going to have to pay to have it replaced. I also think that the front struts are under recall. The car has less than 70000km, I don't know if that matters at all.
Check out: http://www.lemonaidcars.com/secret_warranties.htm
Don't know if the situation described for the 95-98 headgasket at that site is still accurate, but the general info on how the auto manufacturers respond to potential class action problems is insightful. It was a help to me in getting the out-of-warranty headgaskets replaced on a Ford 3.8 V6 for which I was the original owner at about 70K miles.

Also when the headgasket is replaced, should the car be babied for a while, does it need to be broken in? If so for how long?
Shouldn't if they use new torque-to-yield bolts. Arp makes a set for the Neon ( http://www.arp-bolts.com/media/pdf_files/headstuds.pdf ). Anybody know what they charge for these? I would specify these and gladly pay the premium for the additional peace of mind. They are among the best.

Old 08-17-2004 | 09:00 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Hey, that's kinda funny. The only Ford our family has ever owned blew it's 3.8 Taurus headgasket at about 60,000. About 6 weeks ago my father and I toured a pick n' pull that was litered with Taurus' and they all had their engines in them--we joked about them all blowing gaskets. . . . they were very common.

About break in--only if you're replacing a bearing/ring surface--cam, rings, main bearings etc would it be an issue--and mostly the way the cam wears in is the biggest issue. No worries.

. . . but. . . if you're gonna pay and do it yourself. . . wouldn't you like to spend just a little more on a Crane Cam. . .nyuk yuk yuk.

Old 08-17-2004 | 09:26 PM
1998neon
|
Professional

Since my car is 6 years old, am I going to have to fork out money to pay for the gasket and shop time? I just picked it up, the previous owner should have done it. Is there any way to not pay for it?

Old 08-18-2004 | 12:46 AM
b_s_d
Professional

ORIGINAL: red91RT
Hey, that's kinda funny. The only Ford our family has ever owned blew it's 3.8 Taurus headgasket at about 60,000. About 6 weeks ago my father and I toured a pick n' pull that was litered with Taurus' and they all had their engines in them--we joked about them all blowing gaskets. . . . they were very common.
Add Mustangs, Windstars, and any other model that got that engine through most of the '90s. Ford eventually did the right thing and sent letters to the original owners offering to repair the gaskets or pay for past repairs - but it was never an official recall. One major difference that may have factored into their decision was that the Ford gasket problem caused internal and external coolant leaks which often toasted the engine before it was detected. The resale prices on cars with this engine are in the dumpster. Your joke about all those dead Tauruses was probably not too far from the truth.

. . . but. . . if you're gonna pay and do it yourself. . . wouldn't you like to spend just a little more on a Crane Cam. . .nyuk yuk yuk.
Yep... it's not a problem, it's an opportunity to upgrade [sm=smiley18.gif]

Old 08-18-2004 | 01:33 AM
b_s_d
Professional

Since my car is 6 years old, am I going to have to fork out money to pay for the gasket and shop time? I just picked it up, the previous owner should have done it. Is there any way to not pay for it?
You may get lucky talking with the service managers at local dealers or Chrysler's regional office - but wouldn't count on it. However, you should try if you want any chance of recovering some or all of the cost; also keep notes on who and when you talked with them and what was said. Their willingness to do something will change with the risk that the courts may force their hand.

When the Ford dealer confirmed our headgaskets were bad, they waited to see if we'd just cave and eat the cost. I asked to talk with the service manager about the special program that I had heard was being discussed. He confirmed it and agreed to fix it at no cost to us. Later he told us that he had just gotten authorization that week to cover those repairs - so luck in timing can be key. Ford didn't send their letters out for another 4 to 6 months.

I suspect you're going to have to eat the cost.... at least for now, with some slim hope that enough pressure is eventually put on Chrysler to produce some compensation in the future. I believe there is now a law firm pursuing a class action suit. A google search on "neon headgasket class action" will probably turn up a firm name and/or number. You can check with them for status and if you even qualify for the class as a 2nd or 3rd owner. Who knows, Chrysler may even be marginally more responsive if they suspect you're considering joining the class action.

If you do chase this, let us know what you find and how you make out. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2004 | 02:40 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

The factory recall was for a certain mileage. If your car fell under it they changed it for free, if not you pay. I don't quite know what the mileage was because I have a 1999 and never had any HG issues.

Old 08-24-2004 | 03:33 PM
red91RT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: b_s_d

Yep... it's not a problem, it's an opportunity to upgrade [sm=smiley18.gif]

In fact, I told my wife recently I'm never changing her oil because I want her to wear out the 5.7 in her suburban so I have an excuse to get one of the smog legal 383 stroker blocks GM makes now. LOL! She didn't like that idea much.

Old 08-25-2004 | 01:30 AM
b_s_d
Professional

In fact, I told my wife recently I'm never changing her oil because I want her to wear out the 5.7 in her suburban so I have an excuse to get one of the smog legal 383 stroker blocks GM makes now. LOL! She didn't like that idea much.
You can accomplish the same thing much quicker by changing the oil and simply "forgetting" to tighten the sump plug.[sm=smiley15.gif] A friend of mine got a new engine for his Surburban from one of those "quickie lube" places that did this just before his wife hit the road to join him in a new city. While it worked out well in the end, she was unhappy for quite a while about being stranded mid-winter with a truck full of kids somewhere in the desolate Texas pan handle.... without a cell phone.

Quick Reply: Headgasket Q's