Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

2011 Nitro Keyless Entry / Tire Pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
tfulcher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2011 Nitro Keyless Entry / Tire Pressure problems

I just picked up a new 2011 Nitro on Thursday. I know it's under warranty, so I'm going to stop in tomorrow to see what they can do to fix this, but I'm having the most annoying problems.

1. The keyless entry sometimes will not work at all. This has happened three times in the last two days, after working perfectly Thursday and Friday. The key fob will lock the vehicle with no problem, but then when I come out and try to unlock it, nothing will happen. The first time this happened, I thought, well, I'll just unlock the door and start the engine. When I did this, the alarm went off, and I had a helluva time trying to figure out how to get that to shut off. The next couple of times this problem happened, I just continued pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob repeatedly. Eventually, the horn chirped several times in a row, as if it was registering all of my button presses and then activating them all at once.

2. The tire pressure monitor system frequently reports that there is low pressure, but when I look at the individual tire pressures, one or more tires will show no reading. Eventually, after going over a bump or something, they sometimes will start reading a pressure and the warning will go off. I can also turn off the ignition and then re-start the vehicle, and it will come on fine with no low pressure indicator.

Are these two completely unrelated problems, or am I having some weird electrical issue that is affecting this vehicle?

Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The only way I can see they are related would be the Cluster (CCN aso know as Body Computer). The RKE (keyless entry) module messages have to be processed by it to unlock the doors. Likewise the tire pressure messages are bussed in to the CCN from the WIN..Wireless control module.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. Like TNtech had said, it could the WIN/WCM module same thing.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tfulcher
I just picked up a new 2011 Nitro on Thursday. I know it's under warranty, so I'm going to stop in tomorrow to see what they can do to fix this, but I'm having the most annoying problems.

1. The keyless entry sometimes will not work at all. This has happened three times in the last two days, after working perfectly Thursday and Friday. The key fob will lock the vehicle with no problem, but then when I come out and try to unlock it, nothing will happen. The first time this happened, I thought, well, I'll just unlock the door and start the engine. When I did this, the alarm went off, and I had a helluva time trying to figure out how to get that to shut off. The next couple of times this problem happened, I just continued pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob repeatedly. Eventually, the horn chirped several times in a row, as if it was registering all of my button presses and then activating them all at once.

2. The tire pressure monitor system frequently reports that there is low pressure, but when I look at the individual tire pressures, one or more tires will show no reading. Eventually, after going over a bump or something, they sometimes will start reading a pressure and the warning will go off. I can also turn off the ignition and then re-start the vehicle, and it will come on fine with no low pressure indicator.

Are these two completely unrelated problems, or am I having some weird electrical issue that is affecting this vehicle?
TFulcher,

Sounds to me like you may have a pressure sensor bad on one or more of your tires. The alarm issue has a TSB that may apply to your vehicle. I will list it below. You may want to bring it to the dealers attention if they cannot find the FOB/alarm problem.

NUMBER: 08-053-11
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: August 27, 2011

Flash: Vehicle Theft Alarm Intermittently Sounds, No Start
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the TIPM with new software

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may complain of following conditions:
· The vehicle theft alarm intermittently sounds for no apparent reason.
· Multiple attempts are required to start the vehicle before the vehicle will start.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
tfulcher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took this vehicle to the dealer soon after my original post. They checked it out and told me that it was the wireless control module, so they ordered the part. Last Friday, they replaced the part for me. This took about 2 hours, as they had to reprogram the key fobs to work with the new module.

When they were through, I had to drive the vehicle about 600 miles and stayed overnight out of town. The vehicle worked fine on this trip. However, this morning, when I went to get in the vehicle (parked in my driveway again), the key fob once again would not function. I had to open the door with the key and set the alarm off again. Once I got out on the road today, I noticed that my low tire pressure warning is back, although now it does not say "Check TPM System" like it did before.

I'm beginning to think this key fob issue may be a problem with interference with my home wireless network. Does that sound feasible? My previous Nitro, a 2008 model, never had this problem, but I can't think of any other reason why this would be an issue in my driveway but nowhere else (so far). I don't understand the tire pressure issue, though, because that happens no matter where I am.

The

Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tfulcher
I took this vehicle to the dealer soon after my original post. They checked it out and told me that it was the wireless control module, so they ordered the part. Last Friday, they replaced the part for me. This took about 2 hours, as they had to reprogram the key fobs to work with the new module.

When they were through, I had to drive the vehicle about 600 miles and stayed overnight out of town. The vehicle worked fine on this trip. However, this morning, when I went to get in the vehicle (parked in my driveway again), the key fob once again would not function. I had to open the door with the key and set the alarm off again. Once I got out on the road today, I noticed that my low tire pressure warning is back, although now it does not say "Check TPM System" like it did before.

I'm beginning to think this key fob issue may be a problem with interference with my home wireless network. Does that sound feasible? My previous Nitro, a 2008 model, never had this problem, but I can't think of any other reason why this would be an issue in my driveway but nowhere else (so far). I don't understand the tire pressure issue, though, because that happens no matter where I am.

The
TFulcher,

I have never heard of that happening and am not sure if that is possible. Did the dealer flash the TIPM as indicated in the TSB I posted above? While the wireless control module may have needed to be replaced it sounds like it did not solve the problem. If they didn't flash the TIPM per the TSB then that should be the next thing they do.

Quick Reply: 2011 Nitro Keyless Entry / Tire Pressure problems