Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

Manual trans shifter shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 01:29 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Manual trans shifter shaft??

Got a 6 speed manual, has anybody found the shifter shaft, or arm whatever you want to call it that has the rubber insulator on it?? It's worn out and let's the shifter vibrate back and forth while driving. It's made into the shifter shaft and unbolts under the boot. Put a clutch in a week ago, and the isolator is cracked, dry, just plain worn out. Can't find it anywhere. I will not go to rock auto, bad experience, poor customer service on returning a product, people don't speak English, and talk to you like your stupid. Dodge doesn't even list it online, so no part number.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Is it actually a Nitro? What year?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:03 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

An 08. It's under second boot after you pull the console off. You can see the top of the trans. I had to put a clutch in it. Believe these have a dual mass flywheel, hope you don't have to buy a new one about $500. Are you one of those skeptics that say the nitro never came with a manual trans?? I'm gonna rich one day when I decide to sell this only 6 speed manual nitro Dodge built, lol. Anyways it's a two piece shifter, and it has a rubber isolator mating the two halves together. It's welded to the upper half and vulcanized inside a steel sleeve which then has a torx bolt in the middle holding the upper half to the bottom half. It's cracked all around it and it wobbles back and forth when your driving down the road. I sure hope it's a nitro, every part I've bought for a nitro mysteriously bolted on and looked like the party that came off, ooh been doing mechanic work for over 15 years, been out of a garage for some time, just wrenching on my own vehicles now. 08 nitro, 05 RAM 2500, 91 ram with a semi built 318, and an 07 Shelby gt500.......... I'm positive it's an actual gt500, inherited it from my father in law, very sick car, fast as hell.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can find parts illustrations where they show the manual shifter, however, not a single one of them actually lists a part number for it. There isn't even an index number pointing to it.......

Hey, with a bit more searching.... came up with this. Less than 50 bucks. Does that look right?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:30 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Damn, how did you find it?? Lol. It's number 4 in the first parts diagram top left. I went straight to the Dodge parts website and they had nothing for number 4 in the diagram, like you said no part number, no description, nothing. I don't understand the rubber isolator deal, help rid vibration?? Only thing I can come up with, and the whole dual mass flywheel??? My 2500 hemi with a 5 speed doesn't even have a dual mass flywheel and it's rated to pull allot more than a nitro. Well I guess that saves a trip to the stealer tomorrow. Hopefully that site has it in stock. Wonder if anybody makes an aftermarket one that actually does away with the rubber isolator. Well considering the original lasted ten years and 100,000 miles lol, I guess I could buy an oem one lol. Just for the shift **** the Dodge site had a price of around $140.00 for damn piece of plastic with the numbers 1-6 and a R on it. I'm pretty sure I read it correctly lol. Anyways I appreciate you taking the time to find it for me. I was trying to think of ways to either find another rubber to replace it or just eliminate the rubber isolator all together. Thanks again!!!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, you do understand that the ink they use on those numbers is 'special'? More precious than gold. At least, that's the only reason I can think of why they want so much for a friggin' ****. EBay had some pretty cool ones listed though. And most were under a hundred bucks.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:03 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Yeah, lol. I told my wife I'd drive 15 minutes to an Autozone and pay 5 bucks for a damn shift ****. Or drill a hole in an 8 ball and glue it on, done. Lol

Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Use epoxy. Then you can drill and tap it, and have it thread on.