Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

welp. . .I did it again

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:37 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: welp. . .I did it again

I've broken worse . I am notorious for getting equipment stuck at work. If it can be stuck, I'm gonna stick it. I'm the kinda guy that belives that I can reach just about any location, lol.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: usafr

I've broken worse . I am notorious for getting equipment stuck at work. If it can be stuck, I'm gonna stick it. I'm the kinda guy that belives that I can reach just about any location, lol.
and I'm the guy you call to get it out

with a chain, if you use it correctly, theres no problems, you have to tension the chain first before pulling, if you leave it slack and slam on the throttle your in for big dents.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

A couple of years ago we got a whole bunch of stuff stuck and we gave up and called the tow truck. It was probably 75 yards away and the first cable popped and we went running, lol. It didnt cause any damage, thank goodness, but it was scary. Lol. After i got my truck stuck a couple a weeks ago i went to tractor supply and purchased me a tow strap with loops not hooks because when they go a flying there isnt any stopping them.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09
i went to tractor supply and purchased me a tow strap with loops not hooks because when they go a flying there isnt any stopping them.
How do you guy's attach these straps to your trucks if you don't have tow hooks? Where do you attach them on the veichle that you're pulling out?

Maybe I'll get a couple of tow straps and be a Good Samaritan as well !!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 PM
cumminalong

I have a pintle hitch for the back of the truck and a 1" diameter clevis that I attach to strap and the "victim".

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

This thing ??

Why DO they have that hook thing over the ball? What does it do?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

This thing ??

Why DO they have that hook thing over the ball? What does it do?
Mines almost like that, but it's more of a continuoushook on the bottom, not the ball. The top piece locks down and is held in place by that safety pin on the chain. It is physically impossible, without actually breaking something, for the trailer to come undone with that.

They are used mostly for towingheavy equipment trailers, like front end loaders, bull dozers, etc.

The ones tht have the ball can pull either a standard TT or a trailer with the towing eye type coupler, but the top locking piece is not used for normal ball hitch towing, only with a towing eye.

I use mine to pull trailers at work that are towing eyes. It also works perfect for straps.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Mayfair
Legend

So how do you hook the other end of the strap up ( the victim's end )? What do you hook the strap to there?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
cumminalong

That's their problem.......I always tell folks......, "You hook that strap any place you want to. I'm not responsible if you hook it to sheet metal." I had some tard in a snow bank hook it to his A-arm on his rear suspension. I told the guy, "That ain't gonna hold...." He said it was all good. Okay??? I don't think I need to tell you what happened. Instead of a $70 tow truck bill, he got $700 worth of suspension work.

I have a 1"thick clevis that has a 4" diameter that I use to connect the strap back onto itself, if needed, or onto someone else fixed tow hook.

Mine are buried in my box, but here is what I'm talking about......

This is what my hook looks like. It's good for 10 tons
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/B2DFD188E6ED49CDBB2005D65661C95D.gif[/IMG]

This is what the hook is mounted on. It's good for 14 tons
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/B03276A6FE5A4094A7EA390F9B797850.gif[/IMG]

These are clevis'. I have a bunch of different shapes and sizes to fit a ton of stuff.
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/B19C77D924164CD5A197421C2F0CFD3F.gif[/IMG]

The pintle hook on that mount is ideal if you ever want to hook up to somebody elses truck. You flip the mount so it's up high, with the hook up high and when you start to pull, it's applying force downward on your tires (traction) and lifting his. Most folks don't know any better and makes the guy look stupid as he gets very little traction from his rear tires.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
shoreboy725

Rather be a Cummin' than Strokin' lol