Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

welp. . .I did it again

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: welp. . .I did it again

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

If you are towing out anything big enough to bend the trailer pin, you are just looking for attention . I have the front tow hooks, but am looking for something that I can use for the rear, because right now i just throw the loop aroung the ball of the truck and pull.
I'm in the same boat, however the chain I have is too big to use on my rear hitch, and bairly fits on my front tow hooks. . .and I know if I ever break this thing I was pulling something VERY big since I use these same chains to tow trucks weighing in excess of 60,000

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a chain for years until i had one pop and ruin a tail gate. I know how to use chains, but a tow strap is much easier and safer. I can just loop it through the vehicals tow point and loop it on the reciever hitch and pull away.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Does every viechle have a "tow point"?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

No, but most will have a small hook device welded or bolted to the frame. All the cars that i have at least. It is usually on the passanger side front and or rear. I know our sequia has one on it. But i dunno, just throw it around the antenna and pull

Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I've gotta know these things if I'm gonna go out and rescue some damsels in distress !!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

If you are towing out anything big enough to bend the trailer pin, you are just looking for attention .
The trailer pin isn't the one I worry about. It has the load spread across a pretty wide surface. The one I worry about is the pin in the clevis. If you have a d-shaped clevis with a 2" - 4" opening and a 5/8" - 1" thick clevis pin and you put it through a ball mount that has 1" diameter hole that has a 5/8" - 3/4" thickness, you leave a lot of play and the pin is subjected to shock loading and side loading. Shock loading breaks parts, that's why I don't like metal-to-metal when doing recovery stuff.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I've gotta know these things if I'm gonna go out and rescue some damsels in distress !!
The biggest thing you gotta remember is put the WEAKEST link, closest to YOUR truck, preferably whatever is actually attached. That way if it breaks, everything flies at the OTHER guys truck.

I'm all about helping a brother out, but I ain't breakin' my chit in the process.