Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I want a Dodge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
rangerman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a Dodge!!!

Hey all, I am new to this forum and I am glad that I am. My uncle used to own an older cummins diesel truck (80's to 90's) and I fell in love with it, now I want one. Now, for the questions: Why should I choose a Dodge over Chevy and Ford? Is Cummins the best? I am looking for one around 80's to 90's with a cummins diesel and 4x4 with a reg cab and long bed, did they make different size diesels? What should I look for when buying one? I heard they get excellent gas milage, is this true? Sorry for so many questions, this is only few for now. Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Hiloram
Professional
Default RE: I want a Dodge!!!

All trucks have their pros and cons. This being a dodge forum you can be sure what everyone here likes. That being said: Before I bought, Ispoke with our fleet guy(I work at an electric utility) and his reply was "If I was buying for myself it would be whichever truck has the Cummins in it"

Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
JJHays

Well I have been looking for a diesel truck for the past 3 months. Have test driven used and new of all the big 3. The last month I totally switchedto looking at Dodges. I like the duramax and the silverado is a nice truck. But some of the knownissues and the complex engine kinda of scared me. As for the Fords, I have loved that ole 7.3L but was totally frightened of the next generation and its share of problems. Yes Dodge has some issues too but the Cummins engine and its long history in Dodges and industrial uses, finally did it for me. Also the majority of the High mileage trucks were all Dodge. The high mileage fords and chevy's I saw I wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole. Bought mine today and have a whopping 33 miles on it!!! since I drove it home!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from 89-07.4 the engine was only one size, 5.9L. only the most current 07.5's have an increased displacement mostly for emissions, and the 5.9L platform has just about gone as far as cummins and DC are willing to push it in stock form and still have the engine life they like.

if I had to do my truck all over again I would look for a 96-98.4 12 valve. dont worry about the miles. even at 300,000 there is still plenty of life left. Now as far as which one is best. . .well. . .untill the isuzu duramax, chevy's diesel offering left alot to be desired. The international 7.3L ford used can be consitered a benchmark when it comes to performance and longevity. only problem with the engine is if you start pushing the power, you better be ready to replace the bottom end before too long as it cannot handle high power. The Cummins engine even back in the 90's had a marine cousin that pushed 370hp from the factory. take your stock engine, put the marine injectors, pistons, and head gasket in. Then crank the P7100 injector pump to big boy status and even most modified sports cars were blown off the track. The only problem, the transmissions that were used had major problems being able to handle the increased power.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Ben D.
Champion

The powerstroke unless you're lookin at the ole 7.3L are all junk. Stay away from those they are problem ridden and don't really make that much power. The duramax is nice but it's very complicated and is all aluminum. Which IMO aluminum is just not what a diesel is meant to be made of. Plus the cummins makes it's torque low low low low low in the rpm range. Lower than the v8 chevy and ford. And i'm a junky for low end torque. Plus many I6 engines are renowned for durability and that's what the cummins is. couple that with the cummins already proven reliablility and ur set. One thing that really go tme was that if you havn't noticed. Dodge is the only one who openly advertises who makes there diesel engine. No fancy names here we tell it like it is Cummin Turbo Diesel.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 AM
rangerman
Professional

What year should I get? I like the older style but they seem to be extinct or they are hard to find. And, the newer style (gen 2) seem to be spendy.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Ben D.
Champion

If you're lookin at older ones go with drews recommendation of the 12 valves. They are very ez to work on and are great with longevity

Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 AM
rangerman
Professional

thats not older, I am looking for one around $4000 to $5000, a gen 1. That is just way to expensive for me since I am only 16, I guess I am in need of a job. Why do you think they are easy to work on? Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

They're easy to work on, because there's not that many moving parts, so there's not that many things that can go wrong with it.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
rangerman
Professional

I am looking for a dodge around $5000, can you even buy one 96-98 for that much? I thought that older was easier to work on? Also, are these diesels 6 cylinders? Because I saw a 96 for $8500 and had a 6 cylinder diesel engine? I know the newer ones do because my grandpa owns one.

Quick Reply: I want a Dodge!!!