Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY Oil-Change Thread??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Oil-Change Thread??

No need to do it at 3K on these puppies. Going by Cummins themselves, you are good for 7500 for the everyday driver type category or up to 15K for those that don't meet those conditions.

Personnally, between 5K and 7.5K, depending on what kind of driving I've been doing. If I've had the trailer hooked up, or been playing with the box, blowing smoke, whatever, I won't go more than 5K.

1 gal of Rotella T, Delo 400, or Valvoline Premium Blue is around $10. $30 worth of oil and about $9 for the filter.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JT824Megacab

Cant remember if the engine should be warm or not before changing.
Just for reference, any oil change should be done on a hot engine. The better draining mentioned earlier is 1 reason, alsowhen hot the oil is stirred up and any contamination (either too small forthe or anything left from the filtergetting clogged and bypassing) will be in suspension and not settled to the bottom of the pan. Makes it much easier to get all the nasty stuff out of there. This is especially true for old engines and small engines that don't have oil filters.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 AM
rangerman
Professional

thanks, I didn't know that. Why don't you just use synthetic, or do they make synthetic yet?

Thats not too bad to for an oil change. I plan on driving around 2,000 miles a year, would I just change the oil every 6 months or yearly or what?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
cumminalong

They do make synthetic and that's purely a personal choice.

Main reason for that is........show me one instance, in a vehicle that you have owned or anybody that you know for that matter, where a lubricated part has failed due to oil if it was maintained at the normal intervals and the levels were kept in their normal range. I can't, because it rarely happens unless there was a pre-existing condition.

If you wanna run extended drain intervals, bypass filters, etc, then yeah by all means, go with synthetic. For me, with the amount that I change out the oil and the way I usually drive, I can't justify the need. Besides at nearly $10 a qt vs $10 a gal, this cheap bastard is going with the dino oil.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil-Change Thread??